What material is this gear made of?

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
This is a gear for a Volvo amazon, a timing gear I think. Does anyone know what material this gear made of and is there a substitute material that can be used? It's not metal but more like a fiber something like bakolite, but I am not sure. I haven't taken any measurement on it yet and don't know if it is metric or imperial,cause I must still figure out if I must get a module or DP cutter. But first I must get the material issue sorted.

Don't worry about the aluminum parts you see,because I think that was a fix for the gear before. Apparently they can't get a gear anywhere. 20210205_164326.jpg20210205_164317.jpg20210205_164308.jpg

Can someone shine some light.

Kind of looks like phenolic. Can you see any signs of fiber strands in it?

No not that I can see. I looked up on the net and it only say "fiber"

Measure the OD in mm and divide by the number of teeth plus 2. If the result is a nice number like 1.5, 2.0, etc. or close, then it is likely a metric gear and the answer will be the modulus. If not, the number of teeth plus 2 divided by the OD in inches would be the diametral pitch.

Bakelite with some sort of material added for strength was used in some automotive applications. McMaster Carr lists several types under the trade name Garolite.

I would think that linen reinforced phenolic would be appropriate for a timing gear, General Electric product, Micarta, Garolite is the same product, both come in several grades, for Micarta, grade L is linen cloth reinforced.

Theoretical meanderings by an old man, maybe or maybe not useful. I am officially an "old man", turning 70 this year.

First of all, a Volvo built in Sweden will most likely be metric. Being an automotive part specific to an engine, it might well be any thing. I would be disinclined to think "micarta" since, in electrical parts, micarta is usually a warm brown color. Bakelite is a very old process, one of the earliest incidents of plastic, if not the oldest. It is common as an electrical insulator, is very black, and is very brittle. Those two plastics aside, there are many plastics in use the last 30 odd years that I have no knowledge of.

Theorizing on the engine; if it is a clearance engine, in that the crankshaft can come to top dead center with a valve open, most any material could have been used. If it is a "zero clearance" engine, having the camshaft get out of time with the crankshaft could cause considerable damage.

In either case, using a molded (plastic) gear is a significant reduction to assembly costs and time. It can also possibly be used as a "weak link" to reduce other, more serious damage on failure. In any case, a replacement could be constructed of any material, most easily aluminium. The issues here are "non critical" being primarily increased weight, more affected by corrosive chemicals, and less likely to fail when failure would "save" another part.

The instructions, formulae, system, whatever, for determining metric vs imperial (Modulus V Diametrical Pitch) given above would be most useful. There are many other factors involved in making a gear. First and foremost is what the gear interfaces with. Another gear, timing chain, timing belt, short rope, whatever. If indeed another gear as it appears, perhaps research into that second gear will provide further insight into pitch, pressure angle, et al. Worst case, research and careful measurement would provide enough information to construct something that works. It may not work 100%, but well enough to refine the measurements closer so a second gear could be constructed that was 99.99% useful.

Last but not least, the gear appears to be a "taper" gear. Such is not easily reproduced in a hobby shop environment. It could be theoretically be printed, given enough time and a strong enough medium. My preference would be to find a similar machine in a junked condition to salvage the gear. Possibly having it built by a machine shop but the cost of that would be enormous. Again, this is mostly theoretical meanderings by an old man, maybe or maybe not useful. Just a little "out of the box" thinking to try to assist.

First of all, a Volvo built in Sweden will most likely be metric.
I would have thought that also but from what I understand Volvo used a significant amount of UNF & UNC fasteners prior to 1974.

Ford also used nylon timing gears in some FE series engines. They were known for shearing off teeth in high milage engines, and the teeth in turn jambing in the oil pump gears, and toasting said engine. Mike

Back