What Model Dumore Tool Post Grinder For A Sb9a?

thenrie

Active User
Registered
Anybody have an opinion on which model Dumore tool post grinder would be appropriate for a South Bend 9A lathe? I have been thinking about buying one, but I don't want to spend the money and find I've over-sized it. I just want to be able to polish shafts, inside bores, some homemade morse tapers and centers, etc.

Right now I'm looking at a Model 5 and an 11-01 on eBay, but don't know much about them. Can't seem to find much info on them that shows their relative sizes. Can't tell much from the photos.

The most important thing is that your lathe fits in the range of possible tool heights the grinder can accommodate. Measure from the top of the compound where the tool post mounts to the center of the spindle. That is the tool height. The grinder spindle must be mounted exactly the same height as the lathe spindle center. Dumore has a web site where you can see the range of center heights for their grinders. Catalog data like "fits 11-15" lathes" is misleading, tool height is what makes it work or not. Beyond that, what do you plan to do with it? There are tool post grinders that only do I.D. work, only do O.D. work, or both. The range of spindle speeds is related to the size of the grinding wheels used, small wheels use higher RPMs and large wheels use lower RPMs. If nothing else, study the Dumore site, look at the various grinders, and see the ranges of speeds available and what size wheels that allows. Horsepower becomes important if you are doing heavier stock removal or care about how long the job takes. Most tool post grinders are pretty light duty machines.
http://www.dumorecorp.com/

Another consideration is the horizontal grinder spindle offset from the tool post center. Crank your cross slide all the way back. Measure the horizontal distance from the spindle center to the tool post center. That distance, minus the grinder spindle offset, minus half the grinding wheel diameter, is the maximum cylindrical grinding diameter capacity. Hint, it will not be anywhere near 9"...

That's the problem with buying online. You don't get to do all those measurement things. You just get the model number and ask questions. The one I'm looking at is a No. 5, which appears to be the forerunner of the current Series 57. It has changeable spindles. The seller says it came off a SB9 and the Dumore info re the Series 57 indicates it will fit a 9" lathe. I expect I can re-sell it if it doesn't fit, but it appears to be what I want. Thanks for the quick input.

I have a series 11 for my 10" Logan, fits pretty nice ... I just don't use it much.

I have one I use on my 9" . it fit and works nice. also with spacers it works on my 14 1/2 " southbend. I will get the numbers on it in a day or two I left it at my other shop.

things to remember when using one. I cover the carriage and ways with a leather welding apron also lay a piece of metal where the sparks hit. after you are done clean up the lathe real good. as in wipe it down with paper towels till they are clean then re oil.

Ok. It looks to me like the series 57 and series 11 and 44 are about the same size. The No. 5 has a 1/2hp motor, whereas the 11 and 44 have a 1/4hp, but the size seems to be about the same. Should work.

Ok. It looks to me like the series 57 and series 11 and 44 are about the same size. The No. 5 has a 1/2hp motor, whereas the 11 and 44 have a 1/4hp, but the size seems to be about the same. Should work.

Those are all too big for use on the 9" SBL.

Need to find the No. 7 Tom Thumb Dumore tool post grinder. It's the correct size to use. It's what I have and use on my 9" SBL. The no. 11 and 44 may work, may not. The no. 5 or series 57 are way too big to use on the 9" lathe.

Ken

Yeah. I missed the one I was bidding on. I guess that's good, in light of the info I'm getting. I'll just keep watching.

I tthink the 11 actually had a 1/5 hp motor (not that its that big of difference). Oh in the #11 instructions, it does say from 8" to 11" ... and then goes on to talk about the height from carriage etc, I forgot to mention that the other night.

Back