What should I bid on this HLV?

The Hardinge HLV-H is considered one of the finest, most accurate lathes ever produced. One with both, imperial and metric threading is a very rare find.
It may not be worth it to you but to someone who knows what they are looking at and has the cash, it could be the deal of a lifetime.
Also, Bid Spotter is not a scam auction site.
The auction site does not have to be a scam. A scam could include buddies who work amongst themselves to drive up the price and drop out when their work is done. They lose very little if awarded the bid they place. This kind of scam occurs in many auctions and your defense against it is to be knowledgeable as to what an item is worth, what your maximum amount is before you start bidding, and know the auction terms.

I still think that lathe is a pig with lipstick, my opinion.

As to it being the most accurate, that is your opinion. A good machinist is the one who is accurate with the tools he uses.

Just one thing about online auctions.
This happened to me.
I bid on two items and won. I saw they had shipping services so I wasn't too worried about it.
I won two items that were about the size of a large and small shoe box. I assumed I could ask them to ship UPS and be done with it.
I called and they said, no problem. Just contact our rigger and they will make the arrangements.
It didn't go as planned. For them to package the items, take them to a UPS office and ship would cost me over $600.
The total bid for both items was less than $200.
When the auction called me, they asked what I intended to do with my property. I said, give it to anyone that wants it.
Read the fine print before you bid.
I learned a lesson. Don't buy at online auctions.
Just saying.

This machine is 5 miles from my home and I want it. I'm curious what a high bid should be on this.

David
David, were you successful? I bought an 85ish with extensive tooling in Ohio for $8k and had it shipped to Bend for $1200. I got lucky. It came out of a Proctor and Gamble maintenance shop hardly used. Just some apprentice marks. The english metric version is the most sought after but change gears for metric can be had for under $500. I love mine. Fast, accurate, smooth and perfect for small parts. I saw a 10EE floating around Portland too about 2 months ago. Asking $12k.

Online auctions can be a pain. A friend of mine bought a Van Norman mill from an online service relying strictly on the information provided by their website. When the mill arrived there were no collets as pictured and described in the item lot. He called the company and asked where the collets were. The reply was that they had decided to auction them off as a separate lot, but there wasn't time to change the description and photos.

In this case he was able to refuse the shipment because it was not as presented on the website listing. The auction company had to eat the rigging and transportation in both directions for failure to provide an accurate description.

The auction site does not have to be a scam. A scam could include buddies who work amongst themselves to drive up the price and drop out when their work is done. They lose very little if awarded the bid they place. This kind of scam occurs in many auctions and your defense against it is to be knowledgeable as to what an item is worth, what your maximum amount is before you start bidding, and know the auction terms.

I still think that lathe is a pig with lipstick, my opinion.

As to it being the most accurate, that is your opinion. A good machinist is the one who is accurate with the tools he uses.
Your original post "Investigate the auction company. Looks like a scam to me" Sounded to me like you meant, the auction company is a scam. Yes anyone can rig an auction with shill bidders and I agree with your defense strategy.

I based my opinion of the HVL-H's accuracy on many testimonials, I have heard over the years, from people who owned or used one.
Curious as to why you think it's not a good machine?

David, were you successful? I bought an 85ish with extensive tooling in Ohio for $8k and had it shipped to Bend for $1200. I got lucky. It came out of a Proctor and Gamble maintenance shop hardly used. Just some apprentice marks. The english metric version is the most sought after but change gears for metric can be had for under $500. I love mine. Fast, accurate, smooth and perfect for small parts. I saw a 10EE floating around Portland too about 2 months ago. Asking $12k.
The bidding got out of hand, and I decided to pass. But thank you all for your comments/suggestions.

Your original post "Investigate the auction company. Looks like a scam to me" Sounded to me like you meant, the auction company is a scam. Yes anyone can rig an auction with shill bidders and I agree with your defense strategy.

I based my opinion of the HVL-H's accuracy on many testimonials, I have heard over the years, from people who owned or used one.
Curious as to why you think it's not a good machine?
I have used a couple of them and found them to be very nice. I can get in close and see what I am doing and making set up changes for my work was a breeze. Very smooth, quiet, and like turning the knobs on a quality stereo or ham radio.

But for the kind of money discussed, no way.

Glad Davidpbest passed on it.

I have used a couple of them and found them to be very nice. I can get in close and see what I am doing and making set up changes for my work was a breeze. Very smooth, quiet, and like turning the knobs on a quality stereo or ham radio.

But for the kind of money discussed, no way.

Glad Davidpbest passed on it.
Thanks for the clarification.

Back