What Type Of Cutting Oil is correct

Piper's coloring looks a lot like my dog. (Not my avatar), my German Shedder.

We found a dog in the ditch in our backyard half dead. It couldn't even stand up on its own. I carried it up from the ditch. We gave it water, food and a bath. 2 weeks later the humane society called and said they found the owners who they sent over to pick it up.

Of course the experience made my daughter yearn for a dog even though we are both allergic to them. I had a German shepherd when I was young and my daughter is pretty good at wearing me down so we started looking around for a dog needing a loving family. Raising a daughter by myself was enough of a challenge and I just didn't have the time or energy to also put into a dog when my daughter was younger... but my daughter was 18 and enrolling in the local college. After a good amount of looking we just couldn't find a dog that clicked with us.

6 months later I was going down stairs around midnight to check on my daughter and saw this black blob on our front step. I opened the door, it tiptoed up stairs, head down, tail between it's legs and laid down in my bedroom where it used to sleep 6 months prior. Very malnourished (again), water, food ,bath, plenty of love, and reported to the humane society the next day as well as sending them pictures of the abuse and neglect.

That was a year ago and Piper is part of our family now. She is the most loving and obedient dog I have ever met. She won't let me be more than 6' away from her and she is great company while working from home!

We are very pleased that Piper decided to adopt us! (We never heard from the humane society again) She is the furthest thing from a take off on her own and run away dog. I let her out the back door when she tells me to, we have no fences, and she is at the back door 15 to 20 minutes later with a single "WOOF" to alert us that she is ready to come in. I frequently ponder what could have made her run away from her previous owners... at least TWICE.

400040197_7146472968709882_6892685124224673594_n.jpg

Last edited:
We found a dog in the ditch in our backyard half dead. It couldn't even stand up on its own. I carried it up from the ditch. We gave it water, food and a bath. 2 weeks later the humane society called and said they found the owners who they sent over to pick it up.

Of course the experience made my daughter yearn for a dog even though we are both allergic to them. I had a German shepherd when I was young and my daughter is pretty good at wearing me down so we started looking around for a dog needing a loving family. Raising a daughter by myself was enough of a challenge and I just didn't have the time or energy to also put into a dog when my daughter was younger... but my daughter was 18 and enrolling in the local college. After a good amount of looking we just couldn't find a dog that clicked with us.

6 months later I was going down stairs around midnight to check on my daughter and saw this black blob on our front step. I opened the door, it tiptoed up stairs, head down, tail between it's legs and laid down in my bedroom where it used to sleep 6 months prior. Very malnourished (again), water, food ,bath, plenty of love, and reported to the humane society the next day as well as sending them pictures of the abuse and neglect.

That was a year ago and Piper is part of our family now. She is the most loving and obedient dog I have ever met. She won't let me be more than 6' away from her and she is great company while working from home!

We are very pleased that Piper decided to adopt us! (We never heard from the humane society again) She is the furthest thing from a take off on her own and run away dog. I let her out the back door when she tells me to, we have no fences, and she is at the back door 15 to 20 minutes later with a single "WOOF" to alert us that she is ready to come in. I frequently ponder what could have made her run away from her previous owners... at least TWICE.

View attachment 484431
awesome Mike. It amazes me how horrible people can be to an animal that just wants to be part of your pack. You are awesome, and so is piper.

View attachment 484431
Well she sure looks happy now! Good job!

Due to this thread I decided to try Crisco as a cutting lube and it is working well. I seem to be going through the Crisco A WHOLE LOT FASTER than I expected though... seems to be getting used up at an absolutely incredible rate! It is not NEARLY as cost effective an alternative as I was lead to believe it would be...

Ha ha , I cut my veg oil with a range of spirits or solvents , the main problem I had was it built up a set layer on the lathe that tooookk aggggggeeess to get off.

I now stick to backon and beef fat for diy cutting goo

:)

Stu

I'm just now starting to appreciate the complexity of lubricants and the effects of additives. It's an ancient chinese secret, though. Here's a decent source that I stumbled on a few weeks back. He's teasing his paid site but it's pretty good content https://www.youtube.com/@LubricationExperts

I've been working on the design of a press brake, which has several pivots. I saw another design that used conical plain bearings, which I like because they can be adjusted. Unfortunately, whether conical or cylindrical, a large slow-moving plain bearing is a worst-case for lubrication. So I've been learning about the various types of grease. It's not the same as cutting oil but there is some overlap. If nothing else, it shows how complicated petroleum products are to manufacture.

Back