what's a fair price on this SB 9A?

thanks. I went to look at it today. he has a home machine shop with two other lathes. one is HUGE and the other is a good bit larger then this one.

I could see some wear on the way and it only had the 3 jaw chuck and collets. no other tooling. he claimed to have never had it off in the last 15 years. the belt was worn to the point that it would pop off when turned on. you could put a tool on the side of the belt till it got turning and then it would work. it ran smooth. it has three shades of paint on it and could use a fresh coat.

he is asking $1500 and as of now I have passed on it.

you were better to pass on it.
the picture of the V-way looked deceptively worn and scored, i seriously doubt .001" repeatability
:notthis:

Personally, I think that passing on this was the best thing to do. It may be a Southbend but it is also a short bed and only have about 19 inches between centers. It can get pretty expensive to set up a lathe, chucks, steady rest follow rest etc. I think that 5 or 6 hundred would have been a decent price.

Paul

Sorry did not work out. Same here in SD hard find a used lathe and when you do they are dirty beat the heck. Why do people treat lathes and mills that way?? :whiteflag:I gave up after many years and ordered a PM 12X36. Should be here early next week. Just bought a 8530 Clausing mill and paid to much but seems light on wear? Same place a wile back had a Clausing lathe from one time a school. I don't know how many hands or years since then. No tooling and wanted like $4900.. And it sold very fast. To Another fool like me? lol ..I just said screw it and ordered the new PM. More money than I wanted to invest but its new and has the tooling and hole thru the head that will give me ability to do a lot of work older lathes will not let me do. That said I love the old lathes and may had to do why I let myself buy the mill I did.???

Good call on passing on that lathe, I was definately wrong on my gut telling me it was in good shape under the dirt. That looks to be a lot of wear on the v-ways, actually as bad as I have seen in photos!!

That's some pretty bad wear shown in the pictures..I'd pass too!

Back