What's This Then? (sherline)

I bought a ton of cool Sherline stuff at an estate sale this week.
Among them is this:
View attachment 106783

The graduated collar behind the chuck reads 0-90-0-90-0
The graduated collar on the pivot mount has 0-90.
Both collars lock
The chuck is 2-jaw, will hold round and square shanks
OAL is about 8 inches.

Not sure what it is, but my best guess is a tool sharpener, for endmills.
Anyone know for sure?

Sorry this is so late but I just discovered this posting. Don't know for sure, but the chuck that holds round or square shanks says to me that it's for taps. The 0-90-0-90 dial could be used for two flute or four flute taps to position them for sharpening. The 0-90 base dial could be used to set the taper for sharpening.
Karl

I always wonder about the people whose estate is being sold. This guy (or woman?) had many many interests. Lots of high-end photography gear. Specialized printing equipment. Powder coat and welding. Clasp knives. RC airplanes, lots of NIB engines. Reloading equipment, though I saw no firearms (relatives got them?).
Sherline lathe and mill with ALL the accessories, mostly unused, or else very well cared for. I could not figure out what he was making with them, except for some ink pens.
The house was packed with neat things. This was a very interesting person.
I spent about $500 there, could have easily spent twice that.

Most places now days, You have to ask about firearms. As you aren't supposed to have them in plain site at sales.

Karl,
That sure makes sense. I don't know why anyone would go to that much trouble to sharpen a tap though. Any tap that would fit in this fixture is probably <$5.

"Most places now days, You have to ask about firearms. As you aren't supposed to have them in plain site at sales."

Don't know about Florida, but here in Texas it's no big deal. Lots of estate sales have guns. ButI think many of the estate sale companies prefer not to include them when they manage a sale. I figure they probably outsource that by recommending a friendly FFL to put them on Gun Broker. That's what I'd do.

Looks like a Lathe and a dividing head to me. A small one for sure.

One of my distant cousins estate was sold about a year ago. Part of it was a machine shop with CNC equipment. I don't know what he had, I was never in it. His children I am sure undersold a lot because they didn't know what the tools were.

Karl,
That sure makes sense. I don't know why anyone would go to that much trouble to sharpen a tap though. Any tap that would fit in this fixture is probably <$5.

I can't agree more, but the abilities of this tool to index in two or four positions would point to a tap or a mill. Perhaps it could be used to make a small mill or tap that is custom-sized. Make the tool on a lathe and flute it (is that a verb?) on this devise, and then harden it.

Back