Where To Get Reducer Hub/bushing/adapter For Diamond Wheel

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
Hey. I have came by a couple new to me / used diamond wheels. I plan to use them to shape/sharpen carbide for scrapers. I have a nice olde USA made bench grinder laying around and would like to adapt the diamond wheels to fit the bench grinder. The dilemmas are that the diamond wheels have a 1 1/4" hole and the bench grinder has a 1/2" shaft that secures the wheel between a smaller hub and a 1/2" nut. I am not sure what adapter / hub/bushing I will need. If anyone knows of the correct name for the part I am describing or a link to where I could buy one I would really appreciate it. Below are a photos of one of the wheel I am hoping to put on the bench grinder.
Thanks in advance
Dylan

image.png image.png image.png

Those wheels are meant for use on carbide grinders. That said, you can make an adapter for your bench grinder to fit them, just make sure you do not exceed the maximum RPM rating for the diamond wheel. It would work well for grinding carbide, but will probably require new tool rests added to the side of the grinder.

That said, for sharpening shaper tools, the speed of those grinders make them quite aggressive for just honing a dull blade. Commercially, grinders like the Glendo Accu-Finish are used for shaper tools. They work great. Downside, they are really expensive. A much lower RPM works better. Ulma Doctor, a member on this site, made his own for very little money or work. I have used it, and it works great for honing shaper blades. Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-made-diamond-tool-sharpener.34775/

That is a great sharpener he made in the link you sent me. I have a grinder mandrel that has 5/8" threaded shafts. It's just like the one in the photo below. I have a extra 1700 rpm 1/3 hp motor that I could use a big and really small pulley to achieve a slow speed. But I still would like a adapter to get the 1 1/4" hole to reduce to 5/8" to fit the mandrel shaft. I will build a tool rest with a pivot point and some angle guide. Any place to get the adapter would be great.
Thanks
Dylan

Dylan, if you have a lathe you can make the adapter.

Edit: You could buy the carbide grinder wheel adapter from Grizzly. I will get back to you with the part number and price.

Another edit:
Grizzly tool grinder parts list:
http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/h7762_pl.pdf item #5
That doesn't exactly get it, either. The shaft is 18mm, larger than your 5/8".

Last edited:
Back