Which CAD program to choose?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am a total beginner on this.
I am thinking about stepping into a home based business after my upcoming retirement. I'm seriously considering spending the money for a Tormach CNC lathe, and possibly a Mill later. The problem is I need to be able to design my parts and them convert them to G-code I think so the machine can run them.

I've had some light drafting training and experience but nothing on the computer. So a few questions:
  • Do all CAD programs work for all the different machines?
  • are any of the various programs better or worse for parts design?
  • Are any of the 'free' versions worth using, or should I plan of purchasing a better version?
  • What else do I not know that I should?

I thank you all in advance for any help you can give.

Complex G code is typically created through the use of a CAM (computer aided machining) program. The input to the CAM program can be a variety of file formats, depending upon the particular CAM program. I use one called SprutCAM which I bought with my CNC machine, It will accept, IGES, STL, DXF, and SolidWorks file formats among others. For CAD, I use SolidWorks 2010. Fusion 360 has (had) an integral CAM program which is convenient as you can make model revisions without having to go back to a CAD program, revising, and reloading into the CAM program.

I have used SolidWorks for 20 years and when I retired, I bought my own seat. It has done everything I have needed to do, With SolidWorks and other parametric modeling programs, there is a fairly steep learning curve so they aren't plug and play. I have a series of good reference books which usually answer my questions. Fusion has some good on line tutorial. I expect that other software is similar.

I'm a fan of Fusion 360. I got started on it with a free educational version maybe 10 years ago. I believe you can still get a restricted/reduced version of it for free, but will more than likely end up paying for it.

Fusion is actually a suite of tools with add ons that can handle way more than you will ever need - but the advantage is that it's all available if your needs and budget warrant it.

I use the design and cam parts and they work together really well. It's easy to jump back and forth. The design part handles solid modeling, sheet metal, surface, mesh & plastic. There is very little you can't do with it.

The CAM / manufacture part handles milling, turning, additive (3d print), automated inspection, and fabrication.

You can get individual programs for CAD, CAM and driving the CNC machine.

Fusion CAM (and any full featured CAM) will output G-Code that's suitable for your specific CNC machine by choosing a "Post" for that machine. It's a post processing step that tailors G-Code to a specific machine.

Each machine will have either built-in interface (Tormach has this and they call it pathpilot).

My CNC has a simple program that initializes / homes the machine and allows you to set 0, change tools etc.

There is a lot to learn getting into CNC from the ground up. What I have found though is that you really don't need to even know G-code with modern tools. Modern tools pretty much let you ignore it, but it is also not hard to learn (I'm a SW guy so had a bit of a leg up with that).

I'd do your research before jumping in an buying a machine. I'd also suggest looking into maker spaces in your area that may be able to provide some experience first. Also consider community collage or vo-tech schools.

There is a lot to be said for hands on.

F360 is still free for home/hobbyist use and is full-featured - only limitation I've found is the free version only allows a maximum of 10 editable documents at once. Documents can be changed from editable to read-only and back again in seconds though, so it's just a minor inconvenience.

The CAM functions of Fusion360 for personal use are limited to one tool per file. You can have a part that needs a bunch of holes drilled, then if you want to switch to a different endmill for a boring operation it needs to go in its own file. Minor nuisance.

I am a total beginner on this.
I am thinking about stepping into a home based business after my upcoming retirement. I'm seriously considering spending the money for a Tormach CNC lathe, and possibly a Mill later. The problem is I need to be able to design my parts and them convert them to G-code I think so the machine can run them.

I've had some light drafting training and experience but nothing on the computer. So a few questions:
  • Do all CAD programs work for all the different machines?
  • are any of the various programs better or worse for parts design?
  • Are any of the 'free' versions worth using, or should I plan of purchasing a better version?
  • What else do I not know that I should?

I thank you all in advance for any help you can give.
Alibre works well, lots of Youtube tutorials and I believe it can translate to CAM... Very affordable for what you get and it is a perpetual license...

Complex G code is typically created through the use of a CAM (computer aided machining) program. The input to the CAM program can be a variety of file formats, depending upon the particular CAM program. I use one called SprutCAM which I bought with my CNC machine, It will accept, IGES, STL, DXF, and SolidWorks file formats among others. For CAD, I use SolidWorks 2010. Fusion 360 has (had) an integral CAM program which is convenient as you can make model revisions without having to go back to a CAD program, revising, and reloading into the CAM program.

I have used SolidWorks for 20 years and when I retired, I bought my own seat. It has done everything I have needed to do, With SolidWorks and other parametric modeling programs, there is a fairly steep learning curve so they aren't plug and play. I have a series of good reference books which usually answer my questions. Fusion has some good on line tutorial. I expect that other software is similar.
I love SolidWorks but it is pricey....

You need both a CAD program (for designing) and a CAM program (compatible with your CNC machine) for translating to appropriate G Code.

Fusion and some others do both.

Make sure what you choose for CAM is compatible with you CNC machine(s).

Typically "free" programs are somewhat limiting.

It will be frustrating after spending time mastering a "free" CAD program and finding that it won't allow you to design what you want.

I just checked out Alibre myself a short time ago. It will exports of SVG, DXF, IGES etc. but it does not seem to have CAM capability as far as I could tell.

I have used BOB CAD / CAM for years, doing quite a bit of 2.5D CAD/CAM work with it. It is pretty easy to use. It has been OK enough to keep me from moving on but I can't say I really love it. The CAM part is good for my purposes. They have many post-processors to generate the G-Code and will help with customization of them. I don't get along well with the CAD part. It just doesn't jibe with how I think.

Most of the mill work I do is 2.5 D, not too much with 3D curved surfaces. (Just holes, countersinks, threads, pockets, slots, profiles, corner radiuses etc.) Much of the CAD work can therefore be done in 2D. The tool paths are added to the geometry of the 2D CAD drawings and then the G-Code is generated within the program. BOBCAD also has a CAM simulator built in.

If I were starting over, I might start with Fusion 360 but not the free one. The one-tool limitation discussed above would be a deal-breaker for me. If money were no object, it would be Solidworks for sure!

You need both a CAD program (for designing) and a CAM program (compatible with your CNC machine) for translating to appropriate G Code.

Fusion and some others do both.

Make sure what you choose for CAM is compatible with you CNC machine(s).

Typically "free" programs are somewhat limiting.

It will be frustrating after spending time mastering a "free" CAD program and finding that it won't allow you to design what you want.
Although I have not used it yet, FreeCAD comes with CAM. Pretty sure there are members who have used it Path workbench which is the CAM tool. How well it works, or how easy it is to use? Don't have any personal experience.

Just because something is free, doesn't inherently mean it is bad. The same goes for more expensive stuff. I remember getting suckered into buying a DSP (digital signal processing) toolbox at work and soon finding out it was worthless.

Back