Which Would Be The Most Useful Machine To Get Next?

ffmowers

Registered
Registered
I have an opportunity to get either a horizontal mill or a surface grinder. Which would generally be the most useful?

I have a lathe and vertical mill, as well as a tool cutter grinder.

The mill would be a Nichols Hand Mill (standard), the surface grinder would be a Boyar Shultz 6x12.
Downside on the mill is it needs the motor repaired or replaced, but comes with tooling

Any recommendations? (and no, I can't get both..)

Which one will you be needing next? 8^)

Do you do more precision tool work or hog it out milling jobs?

Good question. Precision most likely as I can do most milling on the vertical or shaper. I'm thinking you just made me answer my own question.
I do have a need to make spline shafts and gears on occasion but the shaper can do that (I think..)
Leaning towards the surface grinder..

If you buy both your dilemma is solved. If you find one isn't needed you can pass it on and recoup your initial investment. Mike

I would go for the surface grinder. You can make gears and splines on both your mill and lathe.

Surface Grinder at this point. The Horizontal Mill can come later. My 2 cents worth.

"Billy G"

I am fan of the horizontal mill, but I would go with the surface grinder. A horizontal is easy to come by and usually cheap. And you really can get both… Honestly, you can! There are no laws against you buying both.

Back