Who knows about Takisawa TSL-800D lathes?

Depending on the age parts are available in Taiwan. . So many machines share the mechanicals and castings, with the electronics and software provided by the company selling the product.
This is actually a good thing as the Taiwanese manufactures use commonly produced parts and tend to be available through the aftermarket.

Webb lathes are similar to Takisawa. Are there others?

Post a picture of your machine and let's see how many we can find with another brand badge.
This is actually a good thing, many parts available from Taiwan,
The amazing thing is I will see "step sister" machines and one will use ground ball screws and the other will use rolled thread ball screws!

Hi all, new to the forum and am in the process of gathering equipment for use in retirement. I am looking at a Webb 800D. I need help understanding the cost and availability of the basic accessories one would need to take full advantage of the machine. Also, what should I be on the look out for with respect to wear on this particular machine? There are two other lathes for sale locally. A South Bend 14 and Hardinge HLV. The South Bend and Hardinge are nearly twice the price, but come with more accessories. Any advise is certainly appreciated as I have little experience with the models of this size at these price points.

Expect to need a CX size tool post if it doesn't come with it. You can get name brand ones new but the starter kits are ~$1500. You can buy Chinese knock-offs for less, but ymmv. Used one's come up at auction quite often along with tool holders. Yakisawa is still in business and still sells parts for the lathe but are generally expensive. Also verify you get a chuck, steady and follow rest.. If it doesn't come with one they can be spendy to acquire. This lathe uses change gears to select various threading pitch, if they don't come with it you'll need to buy them too.

Check out the lathe before you buy it. Stick the business end of a test indicator in the nose of the spindle and give it a spin to make sure it runs true. Feel for and listen for bearing noise on the spindle since these are the expensive ones (P5 class). Use an indicator on the cross slide to look for excessive way and screw wear in the sweet spot vs extremes of travel.

Does the motor work and sound good..?

The ways are tough to gauge w/o long straight edges so you'll have to do it visually to see if they were at least cared for (as you would for the machine in general).. Is there rust, are the wipers intact, is there fresh oil on them, are they clean all over or burried in sticky sludge and chips.

Expect to need a CX size tool post if it doesn't come with it. You can get name brand ones new but the starter kits are ~$1500. You can buy Chinese knock-offs for less, but ymmv. Used one's come up at auction quite often along with tool holders. Yakisawa is still in business and still sells parts for the lathe but are generally expensive. Also verify you get a chuck, steady and follow rest.. If it doesn't come with one they can be spendy to acquire. This lathe uses change gears to select various threading pitch, if they don't come with it you'll need to buy them too.

Check out the lathe before you buy it. Stick the business end of a test indicator in the nose of the spindle and give it a spin to make sure it runs true. Feel for and listen for bearing noise on the spindle since these are the expensive ones (P5 class). Use an indicator on the cross slide to look for excessive way and screw wear in the sweet spot vs extremes of travel.

Does the motor work and sound good..?

The ways are tough to gauge w/o long straight edges so you'll have to do it visually to see if they were at least cared for (as you would for the machine in general).. Is there rust, are the wipers intact, is there fresh oil on them, are they clean all over or burried in sticky sludge and chips.
Thanks for the input. I looked at it today and other than being dirty and the paint failing it looked good. Took a straight edge and dial indicator with and all looked and tested well. The ways looked good, straight, clean and had an even finish from end to end. Everything was tighter than I expected except the cross feed. The rack looked ok, just had a little more slack than I'd like. I have a no fault return guarantee with a sale price of $1750.00

Thanks for the input. I looked at it today and other than being dirty and the paint failing it looked good. Took a straight edge and dial indicator with and all looked and tested well. The ways looked good, straight, clean and had an even finish from end to end. Everything was tighter than I expected except the cross feed. The rack looked ok, just had a little more slack than I'd like. I have a no fault return guarantee with a sale price of $1750.00
Good price if everything is as it should be.

John

Back