Who makes a good file these days?

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been using a vintage (USA) Nicholson Black Diamond 6" Mill Bastard for small tasks for a long time.
I've finally decided it's too tired to work with any longer.
I've heard good things about Pferd brand but Country of Origin is China for the size I want. . . . Pass
I ordered three Grobet brand 6" hand files in 3 different cut grades (1/0, 1, 2) because I'm not sure which translates to a Mill Bastard.
Anyway, the three files + shipping ($14.03) came to $71.19.
I don't even know the CoO.

That, IMO, is a shocking amount to pay for three 6" hand files. I hope I fall in love with all three of them.

The horse is out of the barn already, but I'd like to hear recommendations for new files currently available to purchase.
Not interested in NOS Nicholson/Simons because I already have an inventory that I will never run out of (no 6" Mill Bastards though).

Thanks for looking.

I have been happy with Pferd, but I bought mine sometime back (when it started getting hard to find U.S. made Nicholsons) and I don't think any of them were made in China. That said, I have a couple of Mexican Nicholsons that have been fine.
I have some Grobet needle files and they are the very best needle files I've ever used.

GsT

Search eBay for NOS Nicholson (or come to Cabin Fever: there’s a guy there that has a full stall full of them, at pretty decent prices).

Has anyone ever sharpened their files by soaking them in battery acid? I remember my father giving his files to a co-worker as a kid and coming home with what looked like brand new files a week later.

Pferd are the best in my opinion. They are sharp and stay sharp for longer.
Leave the Nicholson files for dead in every way.

NOS files is a good way as that nice pile above shows.

I've bought some nice files from Faithful tools , they seem quite good. I like the way you can see chips flying off when using the large bastard files. :)

Stu

Search eBay for NOS Nicholson (or come to Cabin Fever: there’s a guy there that has a full stall full of them, at pretty decent prices).
I have bucket loads of them . A couple members on here lightened the load over the years and I keep loading it back . I'll have to get back up to CF this year .

Attachments

• IMG_1185.MOV
    47.1 MB
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1188.MOV
    29.2 MB
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1190.MOV
    9 MB
  • IMG_1191.MOV
    39 MB
  • IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1194.MOV
    28.6 MB
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 27
I have bucket loads of them . A couple members on here lightened the load over the years and I keep loading it back . I'll have to get back up to CF this year .
Unless I can get down toes you soon, I may as well wait for January.

Back