Wish List Features...

Yes but yuriy's software the workspace even for a lathe is only x-y-z plane with Z the vertical. Well no such thing as a vertical on a lathe unless you stand it up :) If the workspace for a lathe was able to have X-Z like the tool offset setting then it would function ok but it does not at this point. So a work around is to use X-Y and be able to save profiles, which allow's anyone to calculate and cut any radial by hand cranking on a lathe quickly by following the profile graphically. Just like Sesame Street "one of these things is just like the other". Very powerful feature for any lathe, input data from a 3d printed profile placed in the tailstock and traced and saved into the work.
Link to imgur video

Last edited:
My next machine for DRO is my lathe. Looking to setup three axis. Traverse, X axis , cross slide, Z axis, and compound slide. Compound slide would be good for threading and taper cutting. A rotational readout (B axis?) on the compound would be great. Do they make a sensor/reader that reads circumference and convert to degrees with a known diameter/radius?

Yuriy, You could quite easily quit your day job and sell commercially. The conventional DRO displays have not changed in a long time. It would be awesome to have a DRO with a graphical workspace such as tool path on a CAM display.

My next machine for DRO is my lathe. Looking to setup three axis. Traverse, X axis , cross slide, Z axis, and compound slide. Compound slide would be good for threading and taper cutting. A rotational readout (B axis?) on the compound would be great. Do they make a sensor/reader that reads circumference and convert to degrees with a known diameter/radius?

Yuriy, You could quite easily quit your day job and sell commercially. The conventional DRO displays have not changed in a long time. It would be awesome to have a DRO with a graphical workspace such as tool path on a CAM display.
Carriage is Z, cross slide is X.

Yuriy's touch dro does this already, just have use x-y as a work around for now unless he fixes the issue.
But its awesome! even with the work around. I am trying to post a link to a video example I made.
Internet connection is slow at my current location.

If you are set on a Z coordinate you can't use this feature at this time, as a Z will not move the workspace left or right.
You have to use the y to get that in the workspace.

Last edited:
oops. Right!

I think that is what you are looking for. Did you watch video?

Yuriy's touch dro does this already, just have use x-y as a work around for now unless he fixes the issue.
But its awesome! even with the work around. I am trying to post a link to a video example I made.
Internet connection is slow at my current location.

If you are set on a Z coordinate you can't use this feature at this time, as a Z will not move the workspace left or right.
You have to use the y to get that in the workspace.
Right, I use it on my mill. What would be great is to import that profile (or tool path) into a workspace and then follow it. Would save a lot of manual inputting of points.

Right, I use it on my mill. What would be great is to import that profile (or tool path) into a workspace and then follow it. Would save a lot of manual inputting of points.
Import feature is not yet implemented. But I think that’s coming as well as a graphic import or background which would be awesome for cutting a profile. I use a 3D printed profile to input the points in to the workspace and save it for my lathe, just x,y data saved.
The part turning on the lathe was cut by hand and the radius was calculated with touch dro.

After setting it up on my lathe a few suggestions to make the software much more powerful for a lathe.

1. For Lathe use, drop the X-Z. Use X-Y like milling ( why because your workspace uses X-Y) For tool offsets as well Z is useless in workspace for a lathe. Having ability for X-Y tool offset is all that's needed on a lathe.

A powerful feature is the ability to make and store lathe cutting profiles using X-Y in workspace.

Storing points in the workspace you just pullup the workspace and touch tool off and zero and you have your cutting profile in a graphic not like a Chinese digital readout.

Easy repeat turning of parts, watch the green position marker and line it up with the stored points and cut away no blue print needed.

Blind internal cutting easy as well if you want a .050 wall thickness re-zero .050 out on carriage and .050 in on cross slide, now your internal profile is set for a .050 wall thickness. NO digital display lathe DRO can do this. The workspace feature makes this possible!

I don't think this would require much in the software to implement this.

Now implementing this might be a more difficult but very possible.

2. W axis, adding a Degree input for compound angle to adjust X-Y position based on W position vs angle set would top this off as perfected no improvements possible after that for lathe use. Having a option to enable/disable this in software on screen to reduce processing load. This would be un touchable no other DRO setup would come close.

Thanks !

For #1 I am rediong the graphical display to be able to switch display planes. For the lathe it will default for X/Z; for the mill it will default for X/Z but will be able to switch to X/Z or Y/Z if needed.

For #2 I've added something similar that will get to the same end result. I don't know what to call it yet, but in essence you will be able to enter formula for any axis that uses inputs or outputs from oter axes. This will let you use W axis output as input into X and Z axis readouts. (X_in * sin(W_out) or something similar).

Regards
Yuriy

Back