Worm Gearbox Help

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I always wanted to make a gearbox from scratch and I finally have a use for one. I want to make a 40 to 1 worm drive gearbox to power the head lift on my mill. I'm trying to identify suitable worm wheel materials but I keep getting steered to bronze and brass. The 4" x 1" blank is so expensive it's cheaper to just buy a gearbox but I WANT to build a box. This is a light duty intermittent application so I'm wondering why I can't just use steel for both the worm and the wheel. I have plenty of thick steel plate on the shelf and would like to use that if possible. I also have plenty of aluminum plate and plan on using that for the gearcase. What say you?

I don't see why steel wouldn't work for this application, lots of gears are made from steel.

John

We always made them out of Ampco 45 bronze, but it's tough to work with.
Never seen a worm gear made out of steel, so not too sure that's the answer.

Maybe one of the parts could be made from a nylon or acetal type material to get away from the cost of the bronze? I seem to recall some tablesaws used a nylon/steel (maybe cast iron?) combination on their mechanisms for changing blade elevation.

I don't see why steel wouldn't work for this application, lots of gears are made from steel.

John

I think it's due to the high ware ratio between the two gears, the wheel needs to be softer than the worm for long life.

Some sort of plastic might be good as Francist says, depending on the load on the gears I guess.

Stu

Maybe one of the parts could be made from a nylon or acetal type material to get away from the cost of the bronze? I seem to recall some tablesaws used a nylon/steel (maybe cast iron?) combination on their mechanisms for changing blade elevation.
No matter what material I will ultimately use I'll make a prototype worm wheel out of PVC to make sure I don't ruin any good material.

For an intermitant operation I don't think I'd be overly concerned about the wear rate. Besides it's your first attempt, it's likely it won't be perfect but service-able. I'd say run what you have and just do it. Then you'll discover things you like or dislike. If needed and you dislike it that much, you'll re-do the box or a part and make it better then! FWIW,my point oh two, yada yada yada.. :):tranquility:;)

Back