WTB 8” carbon steel pipe in NorCal

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I live in Santa Rosa, CA. I need some 8” carbon steel pipe. No galvanized, please.

I really prefer Schedule 40, but I would consider Schedule 80.

I will drive to you or meet you. I have cash.

How long? My local metal supply occasionally has some short sections of large pipe if you just need a foot or 3.

How long? My local metal supply occasionally has some short sections of large pipe if you just need a foot or 3.

3’ would be enough. My local steelyard has the same, but they charge an arm and a leg.

3’ would be enough. My local steelyard has the same, but they charge an arm and a leg.

They charge $1/lb for steel offcuts up here. I try to pop in a couple times a month to see if there is anything interesting. I'll swing by today to see if they have anything, and will keep an eye out and let you know if anything turns up.

They had one piece with an OD of 8-1/2" and a wall thickness of about 1/2", guessing 4-1/2 to 6 feet long, it is on the bottom shelf and I had a hard time getting the tape to the end but I was out 4+ feet and there was more to go. Has a fair bit of surface rust if that matters.

It is heavy, so I didn't weigh it, but just a guess its at least 150lbs @ $1/lb

They had several pieces of 6-1/2" OD pipe, with a thinner wall 1/4-3/8" and much cleaner depending on your exact needs, don't know how much wiggle room you have in size if any.

@Aaron_W

Thanks for doing that foot work.

The price of $1.00/lb is a fraction of what I pay down here in Santa Rosa.

I will follow up on the 8-1/2” OD when I get a day off.

8 inch SCH 40 pipe dimensions are 8.625 O.D., 7.981 I.D., .322 Wall and weighs 28.55 lb per foot.

@Aaron_W

Thanks for doing that foot work.

The price of $1.00/lb is a fraction of what I pay down here in Santa Rosa.

I will follow up on the 8-1/2” OD when I get a day off.

It's B&B in Ukiah, they are open M-F. I have a truck and can run it down to you for the cost of gas (120 miles round trip with a gas sucking Tundra so figure about 10 gallons). It will give me a chance to check out that beast of a lathe you bought.

And I will add, as we have all sorts of people here, anytime that you need material and call it "pipe" instead of "tubing" or anything else and the diameter is under 14", you need the state the actual OD, hot the nominal. 8" pipe to me means 8-5/8" OD and an unspecified ID. But I was a pipeliner mostly for nearly half a century,

Back