10" Atlas lathe 42" bed

By the looks of the spindle and bearings ,I would check out the play with a indicator before trying to replace them. From the pictures they look really good. It's not everyone that has the talent to pour and scrape New bearings. A common practice is to replace the head stock with one with Timken bearings. Overall there doesn't show much wear on the lathe. Good luck with your project and thanks for the pictures.
It has been abused from day one if you saw the brazing repair on the saddle

It's great to see the old machines brought back to good working order: nice job.
Our resident Atlas expert is wa5cab and may be able to tell you more about your machine. If he doesn't pop to the surface
you could PM him.
In going through the Vintage Machinery .org database; I have surmised this lathe I have is a 10D by multiple markings on various parts of the machine and a 1937 catalog.

As I put this lathe back together; as I prep the parts I am going to use an etching primer and Rustoleum Dark Machinery Gray eventhough the original color was blue

In going through my boxes of parts for the lathe I am searching for the six screws/bolts that secure the feet to the ways & I think I "misplaced them in a place where I would know they would be safe". LOL My other screw up was I didn't put the nuts, bolts & screws in separate ziploc type bags for each "sub-assembly" so to speak. The only two things I did this with were the fasteners for the apron/saddle assembly and the cross slide. I think back & my mind was going 100 mph just to get this thing apart not thinking proper and considering the "rebuild" would be a nightmare by doing this.

Back