100 year old Barnes #5

Jimw

Active User
Registered
I brought this home on Friday.

This lathe started out as a treadle, yes foot powered, lathe. A previous owner mounted a counter shaft and 110 volt AC motor. One of the counter shaft blocks are broken. I cobbled the counter shaft block so I could test the lathe. This thing works! The ways are very clean. I think the 3 jaw chuck might be for wood turning. The change gears are missing.<br>
<br>
this thing is amazingly tight and fairly smooth.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Score!
Great find.
Take care of her.
The world is a better place.

wow. That is a nice lathe and with tooling, nice score . ENJOY
George

Thanks for the link to the Video. It was very interesting. Nice he has the compound rest on his. That was an optional item from the factory. I crosslide for a number 5 on EBAY for quite a bit, but it looks in much worse shape than the one I have.

I Would love to convert this back to foot power. Cutting metal with foot power has to be amazing. The early form of VFD.

It would be nice to locate the threading gears for the lathe. I do not have the ability to cut gears. yet.

Barnes made these from 1887 to 1910 so mine is 103 126 years old and is in much better shape then my south bend I recently picked up.

Thanks for the link to the Video. It was very interesting. Nice he has the compound rest on his. That was an optional item from the factory. I crosslide for a number 5 on EBAY for quite a bit, but it looks in much worse shape than the one I have.

I Would love to convert this back to foot power. Cutting metal with foot power has to be amazing. The early form of VFD.

It would be nice to locate the threading gears for the lathe. I do not have the ability to cut gears. yet.

Barnes made these from 1887 to 1910 so mine is 103 126 years old and is in much better shape then my south bend I recently picked up.
I also have a foot powered lathe, missing lower parts. The only lathe part that is broken is on the tailstock, is a handle that something looks like your. After taking it apart, it appears that a iron rod was place there so they could use the bolt and nut under the bed to hold in place. Have you taking apart your talistock yet?
I may have found a foot driving unit, only it is a wooden solid bottom, not pedals, but may be the only thing close I will ever find. I have picture under Carroll Jamieson lathe, will be posting more if I can get the driving unit. Hope to hear from you Chester

Back