13" South Bend Single, Need advice

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi all,
I just joined this Forum and I enjoy the nice folks and good advice. I recently picked up a 13" 13X40. I live in Northern California. We don't have as many options as you good people of the industrial states East of the Rockies. It is in pretty good shape, I took the spindle off to check the cast iron bearing surfaces and the polished spindle=VERY GOOD Condition. The ways have some wear, I shimmed the tail stock to bring it up to level. I re-felted the Apron and the gear train.
My current project is taking out the backlash of the compound and the cross feed. I bought a brass nut (new) and the compound screw. That will take care of the compound but the dials are very small and difficult to use. Does anyone make a large dial conversion? I see Halligan is making one, but he is way more capable and experienced than I am.
I also need a Quick Change Tool Post. It came with a Chinese piece of krappola. The Aloris is great but come on $$$$$$. Any other brands that you would recommend?
The first Pic is from the night I got it home safe and sound, the other is the original Craigslist add in the Carmel Valley (long wonderful day bringing it home)

IMG_0013.JPG

00C0C_3oc51saIspj_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t have much to add , except hi neighbor I got as close to paridice as I could.
I do have a SB 10L with large dials they are nice , also useing Aloris qctp I got in a trade
I think shars has reasonable qctp but Chinese

Last edited:
Hi Neighbor. Did the 10L come with large dials? I have looked at Shars-good and bad reviews. I just lost out on E-bay for an Aloris AXA with 10 attachments for $700. That's alot of money!!!!!!!! Heck I may go back to the old swivel post. Many machinests put out great work using the old school holding devices.

I live in Shingletown, not far from you. I have a Heavy 10L that was given to me. Another friend gave me a cheap Chinese wedge type AXA with an assortment of holders. While it worked, the action was rough and the handle would have to rotate so far that it interfered with the tool holder when trying to mount on the front dovetail. I decided to get something better. After some research, I decided on the Bostar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTAR-AXA...309441?hash=item3f4a3ad5c1:g:qawAAOSwd0BV1Ubd
I mounted it yesterday. I haven't used it yet, but am generally quite happy. It is very nicely made and the action is quite smooth. The only issues are cosmetic. The ends of the slots in the tool holders are not deburred and the chrome on the handle is scarred as if it was held with pliers while the knob was installed. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 compared to an Aloris.

Alternatively, get the Aloris post
https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/alax...MI1_igmo6Q2gIVSF9-Ch11hwBBEAQYAyABEgKUxPD_BwE
and Chinese tool holders.

Last edited:
Shingletown?, That's where I picked up my Bridgeport.
Down the road we can compare my Phase 2 to your Bostar. My QC tool tightening handle interferes with the tool interchange as well.

Shingletown?, That's where I picked up my Bridgeport.
Down the road we can compare my Phase 2 to your Bostar. My QC tool tightening handle interferes with the tool interchange as well.

Is it the Phase II that you are looking to replace? They seem to be relatively well regarded.
I find it funny. How did Jet and Phase II become the good stuff? When I was last involved with this stuff, almost 20 years ago, they were the bottom end. Of course, it's a bit of apples and oranges. I'm a hobbyist now, and what was completely unacceptable when I was in the business is now a viable choice. Wouldn't have anything but Aloris or Dorian back then.

I just ordered the New Phase 2 BXA set this morning. My no name is so bad they didn't even name it!

Back