1340 GT is quiet now

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I never ran the machine when changing Norton feed rates, but have been hearing a noise that was getting louder, and was afraid I would have to follow David Best's tear down. Todays exercise was to pull the front plate off of the gearbox, and observe, and while I could watch I found something. I found that in the B position 2 bigger gears are touching the shift lever body, I ran the machine at 90 rpm, and found the lever was bouncing. I closed off all openings, and made sure chips would not escape the pencil grinder, and fixed that issue. I also had the power panel off, and discovered a blocked distribution tube, and fixed that too. I put it all back together, and could still hear a noise I didn't like, and found the big gear in the front had too much backlash, loosened the adjuster, snugged it up, lightly greased the gears, and all is quiet now. I'm so glad it did not have to be torn down. Happy camper here :encourage:

A number of us that have owned the 1340GT have had similar issues with excessive packing grease and plugged oil holes. It is important to clean off all the grease and also pump oil through all the holes including the ones that feed the bearings. One reason for going to a pump oiler with a distribution plate was to get more even oil distribution to the gears, and also sometimes checking that the gears are properly engaging. I had the right gear level walk back and forth on some gears because the pin was not fully engaged in the hole. Also as you noted the headstock outboard drive gears, setting the proper clearance and lubrication. I ended up using a very sticky impact grease which greatly quieted the gear noise, others have their own recommendations such as chain lube. Glad you got it worked out, you might look into a pump oiler with a distribution manifold for one of your projects.

If you ever have to disassemble the gearbox, don't do it while on the machine. You can remove the entire box in 20 minutes and get it on the bench to disassemble. I did have to shorten an allen wrench, short leg, so I could remove socket head bolts out of switchbox.

After installing ELS, mine is much much quieter, no more ringing from that idler gear.

The pump oiler is already in, got the parts list from you :encourage:
Thanks XR, I'll put that under my bonnet

Back