1340 Pbd Should I Jump In?

Mac

Registered
Registered
I have a chance to purchase a Jet 1340 pbd lathe for 1500.00. The current owner says its in good working order. Anyone have any advise?

That sounds like a good price. The question is whether the owner is telling the whole story and also what comes with it. Make sure all the original components come with it, and hopefully some other needed tooling as well. Caveat Emptor!

$1500 doesn't sound too bad. But in used machinery condition is everything, so check it out carefully. I don't believe Jet has parts support for that lathe any longer. That is not a terrible thing, because they rarely need parts.

Thanks Bob and Jim. What little I know about Lathes I have learned from reading this forum. The lathe comes with the original three jaw chuck and a quick change tool post with three tool holders. It has been in a commercial metal shop since it was new, so I assume it has plenty of use but the guy that used to run the lathe said it still worked just fine. Its still hooked up and they said they would run it for me prior to me paying them. Now! How should I convice the war department that this is a necessary purchase????

. Now! How should I convice the war department that this is a necessary purchase????

OH Boy, I can probably offer advice on the the lathe, but you are on your own there.:cautious:

I recently bought a Jet 1336 PBD. I paid $1800, but in my area (Montana) decent used metal lathes are difficult to find. I think I probably paid too much, but I'm determined to make it work for me. If the spindle checks out I will soon be testing my theory that the backgear and bull gear from the BDB-1340 are compatible replacements. If you're like me you may wish you waited for old American metal due to parts. The PBD lathes seem to have been very well made and popular. I've not read a bad review; it's just a question of parts. There's no good way to lock the spindle and the chuck screws on; when it's too tight people put the lathe in backgear to hold it so they can unscrew the chuck. That sometimes results in breaking the helical backgear and bull gear.
Based on mine I would check those gears and the change gear functions.
That model has hardened ways, which is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back