1500MX

I worked with epoxy composites for a medical device company. We manufactured a product that was required to be flat within .1mm. We would get complaints from customers regarding non-flat product where they left the product in the trunk of their car. I did an experiment where I placed a sheet on the dash of my car and found I could roll the sheet into a cylinder after an hour in the sun.
Lord have mercy

My workshops not climate controlled, I wonder if Tormach's taken that were a bunch of hacks into consideration.

I'm sure they've tested this thing but I sure wouldn't want to buy the first run of these machines. I didn't buy a PS4 until 8 years after release and apparently that wasn't enough time to work at the issues.

Last edited:
Lord have mercy

My workshops not climate controlled, I wonder if Tormach's taken that were a bunch of hacks into consideration.

I'm sure they've tested this thing but I sure wouldn't want to buy the first run of these machines. I didn't buy a PS4 until 8 years after release and apparently that wasn't enough time to work at the issues.
At over $30K for the starting price and going up to over $50K, it's hardly a hobby class machine any more. More than likely, they would be used in a climate controlled environment.

It has been my perception that Tormach has been trying to break into the lower end of the industrial market for some time now. The 1500 MX would be a significant step up.

so when I was looking for a granite countertop for my bathroom, I talked with them about quartz, and manufactured granite .
both quartz and manf granite are epoxy with quartz or granite.. They explained the problem with them is that they can/will sag over time. so why build a frame out of epoxy granite? I would assume tormach is using a higher grade epoxy, but still, wouldn't it creep over time.
Epoxy granite for machine tools is very stable. The town I used to live in has a manufacturer of high end tool grinders that use epoxy granite bases. They service the automotive industry among others, pretty sure they know what they're doing.

John

I really dig this new machine from Tormach. It seems like most people always compare a fully loaded 1100 to a Haas Mini Mill. That's the machine that many want to graduate into from the 770/1100 and essentially leave the Tormach brand behind. The 1500 keeps them in their family longer and potentially forever for those not needing more capabilities than what this machine or the Haas mini has to offer. And it's already a very familiar platform for those using Tormachs already.

I'm looking at a older CNC lathe and I'm kind of torn cause its not gonna run path pilot.

Back