1858 Uberti/Pietta Cylinder

bpratl

Active User
Registered
I have a 1858 Remington in .44 Cal and I would like to know if the Pietta cylinder can be machined to fit the Uberti. I know that the Pietta cylinder is .016" longer; but I am not sure that the cylinder diameter or the cylinder locks are compatible. Thanks.
Bob

You have several things to look at besides outside dimensions - most critical would be the alignment of the cylinder bores with the barrel. If that doesn't match up, nothing else would matter. That would be determined by the center to center distance between the center pin and one of the bores. If that matches up, then you would have several other things to look at. My guess off the top of my head is that it is not a likely match. You would probably be better off machining one from scratch.

You have several things to look at besides outside dimensions - most critical would be the alignment of the cylinder bores with the barrel.

Dan, thanks, I will check out the distance to the center pin as it sounds like a fool proof check.
Bob

If you mean what I think you mean,distance to the center pin gives only ONE direction of possible misalignment. There is also the sideways misalignment too. That has to do with the location of the bolt holes in relation to the holes in the cylinder.

Making these 2 different companies' parts fit might be like trying to get parts of 2 Chinese machine tools to fit in each other.

You also have to be aware that the timing notches on the exterior of the cylinder may be different/off. The last time I had to have a couple cylinders reworked, basically the timing notches welded over and re-cut, to get the action to work properly.

-Ron

That's what I meant,scrap metal. I think it would be a near miracle if a cylinder from a different make would actually fit in all respects.

I recalled that Brownell's sells cylinders to convert various Remington repros to modern center fire cartridges. Their Pietta cylinder is $250.00.The Uberti is $240.00. They make one for Ruger Old Army. These are available in stainless,too.

Google Brownell's,then search Taylor's cylinders. There is some difference in the cylinders,and a $10.00 difference in price. I don't know if this difference is only in the slightly different length. Doesn't seem like .016" would cause a $10.00 difference.

Back