19 inch LeBlond Regal lathe.

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
I have a older model LeBlond Regal lathe, that has the threaded spindle. I have read that there is a conversion kit to replace that spindke with a L series spindle. Has anyone done this? Did the later older style Regals come with an L series spindle? Does anyone have an L series spindle for sale? I have several chucks forL series mounts. Might be easier to change spindles than finding threaded chucks fir my lathes !

Bones

I have the same lathe, built in 1943, it has the threaded spindle, and I had another later model (perhaps from the 1950s) that had the type L spindle. I have never heard of an adaptor, I think you would have to find another spindle. I made backplates for all my chucks from iron castings that I had made at a foundry. The type L (L is from Leblond, who originally designed it) was used when an electric brake was added to the reversing motor to prevent the chucks from threading off with the very quick stops.

I have the same lathe, built in 1943, it has the threaded spindle, and I had another later model (perhaps from the 1950s) that had the type L spindle. I have never heard of an adaptor, I think you would have to find another spindle. I made backplates for all my chucks from iron castings that I had made at a foundry. The type L (L is from Leblond, who originally designed it) was used when an electric brake was added to the reversing motor to prevent the chucks from threading off with the very quick stops.
That is what I am hoping to find, maybe a junk machine with the L series spindle, so I can keep my chucks! Maybe someone here has an old machine they are parting out?

Bones

Back