1911 Gunsmithing books

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody have suggestions for books on 1911 gunsmithing? I've been looking at the Scott Duff books and Jerry Kuhnhausen's books specifically. Is one any better than the other? Are there others I should be looking at?

I have a Springfield commander size pistol I would like to start tinkering with. Don't know for sure everything I want to do yet, but I will mill the slide for Novak sights for sure.

I started with Jerry Kuhnhausen's volume 1 then because of a strong recommendation, from a great mentor, went to volume 2. I feel those two books will give you a vrey well rounded education on the 1911 design, operation and modification capabilities. Then, because of what I wanted to do, read everything from and about Schuemann Barrels. I then bought a beater 1911 and started playing/experimenting with each process I was trying to learn about. If I ran into trouble research started into the process I was trying to learn, barrel replacement, bushing replacement, checkering, installing a beaver tail etcetera. I also keep a note book and try to record short concise notes on what was learned. My memory is not what it used to be. Another resource used is The m1911.org.

I have a couple of books out in the shop. Will get the titles later this morning.

Disclaimer: I had the opportunity to mentor under a very good pistolsmith for a few years, so my books are more for reference that actually learning how-to-do-something books.

Oh, and nice to meet another 1911 enthusiast. :)

I too have Jerry Kuhnhausen's two volumes. I also have the Layne Simpson book “The Custom Government Model Pistol” and Brownells Gunsmith Kinks Vol 1-3.

I have "the Modern Gunsmith" by James Howe. It is a fairly comprehensive book in two volumes on the art of gunsmithing. It is available on-line for free download.

I apologize, as I apparently never bought a 1911 gunsmithing book. Sorry.

My 2 cents:
  1. Walk Kuleck & Drake Oldham, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide Vol 2: good step-by-step guide on building a 1911.
  2. Kuhnhausen, Vol 1: all the gory details on the function of the M1911.
I would get both of these as a start for the 1911. m1911.org and 1911forums.com are also great resources.

Back