1928 Vaughn Flex Tread

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This little gem has been sitting in my parents barn for at least 50 years and mine for 10 years. That means it was 30 some odd years old when my dad got it.
My father added the ring gear and 12 volt starter when I was a kid. It must have been hard to start! It has a hexagon shape radiator, single cylinder gas engine with a magneto.
I only remember this tractor running once in my lifetime. Sat covered in the implement shed .
My biggest memory with this. It would always make a great wheezing sound as kid if you spun the flywheel. That was cool until one day I was spinning it over when I was about 8 and ran my fingers through the ring gear and starter. Tore my finger nails off. Lol. Learned a lot that day about meshing gear teeth
The old girl is on the list to be a winter project. One day……
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• A45BAA0A-3657-4793-9439-EA3C207FB712.jpeg
    A45BAA0A-3657-4793-9439-EA3C207FB712.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • D87D3E64-6AC7-442A-BBCE-B45B49856EC4.jpeg
    D87D3E64-6AC7-442A-BBCE-B45B49856EC4.jpeg
    839.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
@Martin W ,

What a beautiful piece of technology and memories!

I only remember this tractor running once in my lifetime. Sat covered in the implement shed .

Hopefully that means that it is not too far gone to experience it again!

The old girl is on the list to be a winter project. One day……

I definitely feel a winter coming on soon, it is predicted to be only 9 deg. C tonight (48 deg. F.)
But no pressure, it will survive another couple years until you're ready!
I am watching this thread for updates........but no pressure........

-brino

That is really unusual. What do you think it was for exactly?

Must be a bugger to try and change directions.....

That is really unusual. What do you think it was for exactly?

Must be a bugger to try and change directions.....
Hi Tony,
kind of like a garden tractor for a single furrow plow. They advertised these as a alternative to a horse drawn plow..
It has forward and reverse.
The story my dad told, how he got it. The fellow hand cranked it but it was in reverse, before he could shut it off it backed through his garage door. So he sold it to my father cheap.
Cheers
Martin

It’s crazy to me those wooden handles are still intact. It’s will be really interesting to see what you find when you take it apart.

Back