1940s Index Mill Question

barkoguru

Registered
Registered
I saw an old index mill for sale and was just wondering if it would be something that would be worth looking at, from what I found on the net it was built in the 40s pre wells-index I know it has b&s #9 taper so I see that doesn't seem to be common or economical, that's a minus, does come with a collet adapter and some collets, nothing else, looks simple in design, it runs, it's 220 single phase, has power feed on the table, research on the net says around 1200 lbs, I like that part, a little heavier than a round column but not Bridgeport size, guy says it's tight, no broken parts or castings and he wants 700$ for it, it's. 4.5 hrs away or I'd have already looked at it, so is this something to consider or just pas? assuming it's not clapped out totally I'm sayin. He's supposed to have someone coming to look at it but if not just curious if it's worth a look, bear with me, I'm learning here. Here is a pic of the actual machine.phone 013116 374.jpg phone 013116 375.jpg

Index is a good machine. It has the collet holder and the zz collets so your good there. It also appears to have the power feed. If it's in decent condition thats not a bad price. I just realized that you mentioned the power feed. It doesn't appear that the owner uses oil on the machine...but thats not uncommon. It's a long drive but if the guy will guarantee to have it when you get there it might be worth a look. I'd hate to drive that far and find out that he sold it.

Last edited:
Neat looking machine, I like that power-feed arrangement.

To me that price is not unreasonable if the machine is usable.
I would certainly prefer the knee type to a round column.
I find the older machines are built more simply allowing for easier service if required.
I am a firm believer that the casting and other parts are made of superior metal.

A few things to consider.....
-does it have adjustable gibs for all the dovetails? If so your can adjust for wear, and also replace them fairly easily if required
-does it have roller bearings in the spindle or plain bushings? My old (1916) mill has plain bushings; they work fine but are strictly low speed. If you are hoping for the high-rpm (like a Bridgeport), be sure it has roller bearings
-B&S#9 are not "unobtainum", my mill is B&S#11 and I had to hunt a little, but have found all the tooling I need. With a lathe you could make your own taper adapters, etc.

Please let us know what you decide, and post more pictures if you see it/get it.

-brino

...by the way did you see:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/index/

and specifically this line:
Their web site is at: wellsindex.com and parts and service are available for all machines with the "Index" or "Wells-Index" name made since 1940 - with most items ready for dispatch "off the shelf".

Also, VintageMachinery has some newer "model 55" manuals here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2280&tab=3
and a "model 40" photo here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2280&tab=4

Is that "40" the same model?
-brino

Yes the 40 on the vintage machinery site is the same model, also on tonys UK site this machine is listed under the Blank & Buxton name, same machine, like 1942 ish. Sorry I haven't figured out how to post links yet.

Price seems right, and from the pics it looks pretty clean, not abused. Maybe a forum member closer by? Mike

IIRC mine is circa 1947. Rounded knee, not as square as the pict above. Screw and pad look about the same though.

Back