1989 Chevalier FSG 618M...How much?

Sticks

Registered
Registered
I got a line on a 1989 chevalier Chevalier FSG 618M locally.

Current price is $3250.00

What I know about it

Manuals, tools, a couple parts (Dust collection) and the OE warranty card inside cabinet.

Belonged to a tool and die shop. Kept in a separate room with other grinders/precision tooling on a dust collection system. No coolant.

Using an 8" precision level on a 2 x 4 x 6 block secured to the mag chuck in the middle, there is .0008 drop from full left to full right on X ~ right is low. .0002 on Y.

Ways and rollers are clean, no grit or buildup. No scoring that I could see by casual inspection without disassembly. Nothing nasty on the lead screw for Y either.

Unit has sat unused for 4 years. The last of 2 pieces of equipment the owner is liquidating (Original owner passed, now the daughter is selling). As in it has not sold for 4 years.

Motor runs and is quiet, no play that I could find. The switches are sketchy and the coil in the starter is iffy - blown fuse for sure, not sure what else. I had to manually hold the coil in to get the motor running. (This is all easy stuff for me to deal with).

It appears that the bulk of what it was used for at the end of its prev owner was cutting off rod and bar stock (<.500"). Lots of pieces in the bottom around the column, and it had a cut off wheel mounted on the arbor, not a grinding wheel.

Mag chuck is clean with a few tiny chips out of it for lack of a better description. Handle moves easy and smooth.

Set up for a coolant pump electrically, but no pump, or plumbing/drain for it on the table.

The average price that I have seen these go for (of the same generation by appearance) is $2500.

What says the community? Take at that price, offer $$$?

1700162984236.jpeg

Pass on it . Its not automatic , you could pick up a B&S Micromaster for that price .

Problem being is that surface grinders in my area are few and far between. I don't like buying used stuff sigh unseen.

However if this is really overpriced, I need to know what it's worth.

I was thinking $1750. Might be too much still?

Pass on it . Its not automatic , you could pick up a B&S Micromaster for that price .
If this were an automatic from this mfg I would say RUN far and fast.

We have one and it has been a malfunctioning auto crash from day one.

We had one also down at the paper plant that crashed regularly in auto .
We’re sending ours to the crusher.

Ours used to only crash when plunge grinding.

The wheel would come off the part and rapidly head towards the chuck and crash into the edge of the die steel.

Then it started doing it in auto too, so now it goes.

When I started the mag chuck was out over .050 because nobody knew how to use the machine . Cleaned up everything and remounted chuck and ground it flat . The traverse mechanisms would miss once in a while and crash the table big time . The company finally shut down and I'm not sure where the equipment went , most likely into the dumpster . They had 2 very large Colchester lathes I was interested in , a 17" and a 20" . My buddy from Norman Machine Tool did not get them either so no-one knows .

Scrap yard seems to be the easy solution for a lot of companies.

My employer opted to send two, $500k pieces of equipment to the scrap yard rather than auction as parts or disassemble and send with the brother units to auction as additional length pieces.

On Topic - I offered $1k for the grinder listed above. We will see what they say.

thats looks almost exactly what I went and looked at several years ago when I thought I wanted a surface grinder. It seems the same model and same vintage. It was the son selling for the father that had moved and was not there. It also had an electrical start prob that he’d had an electrician fix. He kept saying it had super low hours on it but then also told me they had replaced the motor? Did you pull the table off and look at the ways? That’s where I got me “uh oh”. The ways were worn badly in the middle so bad they had ridges at
the top. Dunno if that’s from lack of lube or just high use. Or both. This had all kinds of wheels and even a special grinder for profiling the wheels. $900. I passed because of the wear.

Back