2” boring head

IHinIN

Registered
Registered
This is a 2” boring head I made using my lathe with my homemade milling attachment. I believe the body is made of 1144 Stressproof. It’s from a bar that was thrown out at work because it wasn’t marked what it was. It cuts like 1144 so I’m just assuming that’s what it is. The screw is made of 4140 PHT and the hex in the adjustment dial is the head of a 1/4” SHCS press into it. The shank is 3/4” and it holds 1/2” boring bars. The graduations on the dial were cut in with the compound and a tool bit. A paper template sandwiched between 1/8” plexiglass and a pointer were used to index the graduations on the dial.

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 75
This is a 2” boring head I made using my lathe with my homemade milling attachment. I believe the body is made of 1144 Stressproof. It’s from a bar that was thrown out at work because it wasn’t marked what it was. It cuts like 1144 so I’m just assuming that’s what it is. The screw is made of 4140 PHT and the hex in the adjustment dial is the head of a 1/4” SHCS press into it. The shank is 3/4” and it holds 1/2” boring bars. The graduations on the dial were cut in with the compound and a tool bit. A paper template sandwiched between 1/8” plexiglass and a pointer were used to index the graduations on the dial.
well done, but lose the slotted screws and put some set screws in

well done, but lose the slotted screws and put some set screws in
Thanks. I already swapped them out. The slotted set screws were quickly made to lock down the head so I could take a clean up cut on the OD. I didn’t have any 10-32 set screws in my stash, just 10-32 socket head cap screws.

Last edited:
Looks good. Nice lines on the dial. You can take real pride in making your own tools, to make future tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great. Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back