2" X 42" Belt Grinder

This is great! $400 worth of raw materials and I will have a $300 grinder. I need to start doing some better scrounging.
R

OK. I gotta ask....Why 2 x 42? On Mcmasters website 2 x 48 are about half the cost for belts. What gives?
R

Very good question. I looked for availability on Amazon and 42 and 48 were about the same price... averaged about $18 to $20 for 6 belts and free shipping if you have Prime. Wow... you are right about McMaster. I wonder why? 48" must be more common. I also looked at available belt grinders on Amazon and 42 was about as common as 48.

There isn't much difference when it comes to exposed belt and 42 is more than enough for what I do but based on McMaster I might go with 48 if I was just starting to build one. Either way I don't think it will ever be hard to find the 42 for close to the same price. I don't shop much at McMaster unless I can't find it somewhere else. They have just about everything you can possibly imagine and an excellent web site but you almost always pay more.

If you have a 1725 motor with a larger pulley your exposed belt length will be reduced so based this and McMaster's price I'd go with 48".

Got it. I got the 3450 RPM motor. I started another thread rather that hijack this. I think I will go with 48". I am going with a 4" drive pulley which I will machine out of billet. I was afraid if I cast one there could be balance issues.

R

That sounds like a good speed. Have fun and post some pictures.

Back