25hp 3pahse conveter with load center

Re: 25hp 3phase converter with load center

One of the ways to start an RPC is to spin it up with a single-phase motor.

Yep, several ways to skin this cat.

My friend copied my 3 phase starter but modified the design so that it does not use a relay. He holds his finger on the button until it comes up to speed.

Problem solved.

Don

this is awesome

can you put a price tag on this project? If I ever get a full size VMC I may need to budget this in, and it sounds like it might be much less expensive than a retail 20hp converter.

how does the cost breakdown for the components?

Well, I STOLE the load center, twice. Bought a second one just to get more 3 phase circuit breakers. They are valuable, but also not many looking for one. That means you can find one cheap if you scrounge. I won't guess where you'd end up.

"The Kid" got a 20 hp 3 phase motor for $100. That's a pretty good deal. I gave him the 5hp. Cheapest way to get a 5 is to buy it on a piece of equipment.

With any luck you'll get the motor contactor for the 5 with the above deal. Other wise maybe $20 on eBay. A 20hp might cost ya, I'll guess $75 on eBay.

You'll need a box to put it in, stop and start push buttons, start caps, run caps, relays, time delay relays, wire, terminals etc. This stuff can hit a couple hundred unless you scrounge well.

This unit was designed to be deluxe and last the kid a lifetime. Its possible to go real cheap with a single motor, no balancing caps, just a push button to hold in the start cap, skip the load center, yada yada

Karl

Well, I STOLE the load center, twice. Bought a second one just to get more 3 phase circuit breakers. They are valuable, but also not many looking for one. That means you can find one cheap if you scrounge. I won't guess where you'd end up.

"The Kid" got a 20 hp 3 phase motor for $100. That's a pretty good deal. I gave him the 5hp. Cheapest way to get a 5 is to buy it on a piece of equipment.

With any luck you'll get the motor contactor for the 5 with the above deal. Other wise maybe $20 on eBay. A 20hp might cost ya, I'll guess $75 on eBay.

You'll need a box to put it in, stop and start push buttons, start caps, run caps, relays, time delay relays, wire, terminals etc. This stuff can hit a couple hundred unless you scrounge well.

This unit was designed to be deluxe and last the kid a lifetime. Its possible to go real cheap with a single motor, no balancing caps, just a push button to hold in the start cap, skip the load center, yada yada

Karl

Even a couple hundred would be a HUGE savings..A new 20hp phase converter is $1500 from american rotary...we are comparing apples to apples here right? Because if this is the same thing then I'm probably going to be referring to this thread when I get a big VMC...this would be awesome..

Is the load center required only if I plan on distributing the power to multiple machines? Most likely I'd just connect it to the VMC and nothing else.

Where did you come up with the design? Any schematics? This would help so many people to be able to buy bigger and cheaper equipment!!

This is the fifth RPC I've built. each one nicer than the one before. I have three of them in use on my farm.

I'm not an EE, don't read or write schematics. The first post has how to wire this one. When you get your stuff together, I (or someone else) can walk you through the wiring. If you're after a schematic, they are out there on the web.

if you don't use a load center, put in a fuse block. Works fine for one or two machines.

From there, start scrounging. For me that's most of the fun.

Karl

Back