2nd vise on mill

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have procured a second vise for my mill. I have sine keys for the new vise like I have for previous vise. My 1st vise has been trammed very tight. Ok, I am lazy, but my question is there any reason why I couldn’t take a piece of 4” wide and 36” long extruded aluminum. Can I just put the aluminum in my 1st vise, tighten it up and then do the same on the 2nd vise and then tighten down the bolts that hold the vise to the mill?

I have been trying to go down that path and have some mismatch vises which don't have the same height bottom. One thing I learned, I ended up with a Rohm hydraulic vise that came with keys installed and I was shocked by the acc and repeatability of that setup. I would not hesitate using some keys in the second vise since you won't likely be using it out of parallel to the x axis. I don't do many long parts and keep my rotary table on the mill often. If I need the Rohm (i seldom do) I can stick it on there and not even indicate it, I'm that confident in the keys.
just an idea.

I have been trying to go down that path and have some mismatch vises which don't have the same height bottom. One thing I learned, I ended up with a Rohm hydraulic vise that came with keys installed and I was shocked by the acc and repeatability of that setup. I would not hesitate using some keys in the second vise since you won't likely be using it out of parallel to the x axis. I don't do many long parts and keep my rotary table on the mill often. If I need the Rohm (i seldom do) I can stick it on there and not even indicate it, I'm that confident in the keys.
just an idea.
I have keys from Kurt and identical vises so the height is exactly the same. I have found that the keys in the first vise do a nice job of getting the vise really close but not perfect. I still need to use a dial indicator to get it as close to perfect as I can.

I used the method you described to get my second vise very close then tap it in from there with an indicator on it.

Back