30% off most Sherline products for 2 more days

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
I am not affiliated with Sherline in any way imaginable. As a model railroader throughout my life, growing up in the 70s and 80s, Sherline was always in my face. I never bought any of their products, but am seriously considering glomming a basic lathe and mill before the sale ends.

Just passing it on. Consider it if it's something you need. There's also the Taig lathe which is very cheap as a kit (really needs considerable outfitting though). But in my estimation a Sherline mill is a better bet, albeit smaller/less capacity.

Many or most chucks and accessoried are discounted also.

That's good info, I like Sherline products. Perfect for model railroading I would think. I have a Taig lathe and Mill but use several Sherline accessories. When I first started I read Joe Martins book "Tabletop Machining". It was a fun read and sort of got me started. You should buy that lathe and mill! Strike while the iron is hot.

I did just that, starting in October acquiring the 8" manual lathe with a mill column and assorted accessories, then another order in November after I'd discovered all the holes in my first order. I'm doing HO scale steam engines; a frame for my HOn3 model of D&RG #168 is my first part:

DSZ_9174.jpg

This machine is perfect for brass, and fits in my teeny 7'x10' work space.

They raised all their prices enourmously. They're always doing that. I have so much stuff, most are partial machines though. I had no business buying yet more. I may buy a Taig lathe in kit form. After I get a few other things operating.

Is there a rock solid benefit to using their chucks? How would a Taig chuck work on a Sherline. Or a Sherline chuck on a Taig? They both use the same mount. I imagine they're interchangeable.

They raised all their prices enourmously. They're always doing that. I have so much stuff, most are partial machines though. I had no business buying yet more. I may buy a Taig lathe in kit form. After I get a few other things operating.

Is there a rock solid benefit to using their chucks? How would a Taig chuck work on a Sherline. Or a Sherline chuck on a Taig? They both use the same mount. I imagine they're interchangeable.

The Taig spindle is longer, so you need to use a spacer with some Sherline accessories. I have not found a need to use any kind of adaptor to use Taig accessories on a Sherline spindle.

The quality of the Sherline chucks is much better than Taig, but they cost a lot more too.

The Taig spindle is longer, so you need to use a spacer with some Sherline accessories. I have not found a need to use any kind of adaptor to use Taig accessories on a Sherline spindle.

The quality of the Sherline chucks is much better than Taig, but they cost a lot more too.
I have both a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw Taig chuck and I also have a Sherline 3 jaw chuck. I use them all, but not sure I would say the Sherline is higher quality. Maybe I'm wrong.

Back