3D Printed Dial Indicator Holder

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for a dial indicator holder to clamp to my 7x16 mini mill ways. How well do 3D printed holders perform?

Bret

I'm looking for a dial indicator holder to clamp to my 7x16 mini mill ways. How well do 3D printed holders perform?

Bret

Probably better than one would think. I made printed brackets to hold the read heads on my 1um resolution lathe DRO as a prototype. After 6 months of use, I see no need to replace them with machined ones. I'd use PETG over PLA for more resistance to creep. PLA will sag when it gets warm.

I would expect fine. Back in the day before 3D printing took off (wouldn’t have made any difference anyways, I still don’t have one) I cast several out of urethane for use on my 618. They work fine, still using them today.

1699982886499.jpeg

I designed and printed a 2 piece slimline cantilevered noga clone dti mount for the Unimat DB200 or the Unimat SL1000.

It was printed in pla bonded with an internally threaded aluminum insert for the noga clone arm and M6 captured nuts and hex head capscrews to clamp the assembly to the rails
It can also house a dial indicator on the distal end of the cantilever section

IMG_5474.jpeg

Back