$400 Bridgeport

I see the probe stylus unit and the control lines- but why the two powerheads? Wouldn't one stylus and one powerhead do the trace and cutting?
I'm missing something there
M

Never have seen one of these in action - taken from Tony UK's lathe page on Bridgeports.

Bruce

I see the probe stylus unit and the control lines- but why the two powerheads? Wouldn't one stylus and one powerhead do the trace and cutting?
M

It cuts two identical parts at a time.

Ted

The one in the links I posted is a bit different than the one we had in the shop. If I recall correctly ours was a converted Tree brand 2UVR. I don't know if the conversion was done by the Tree company or an outside vendor. It was already in the shop when I started there. The milling and tracing heads looked almost identical. Looking closer at the Bridgeport I see it has a considerably smaller tracer head on the right side, and mulitple cutting heads.

I never used the one in our shop. It sat in the back of the room most of the time covered with pieces and parts of ongoing projects. It wasn't a very popular machine. It took about 1/2 an hour to warm up so all the functions operated smoothly. Most people preferred the manual Tree mills or the "new at the time" Tree 325 CNC machine. Even the 325 wasn't all that popular with the old timers. Somehow programing a machine was seen as less skilled than actually turning the cranks. In time one of the youngest guys was sent to school for the CNC machine and became the sole operator.

There are several YouTube videos showing the setup and operation of a True Trace milling machine.

M
These were before NC and CNC mills. Production...cut two parts at the same time.

Never have seen one of these in action - taken from Tony UK's lathe page on Bridgeports.

Bruce

View attachment 296459
The two-head unit on the left is drivenb by servos and many were converted to NC mills. The one on the right has a hydraulic table and can only be used as a tracer. No screws to move the bed.

I actually have one of these. While looking at an auction for a manual Bridgeport, I saw this and wondered what it was. I looked online and saw ones that were selling for around $2k so I felt safe bidding $105 just to stay connected to the auction. The next day I went online to see what it sold for...and I owned it!!! $128 out the door including auction fees...loaded on my trailer. The guy running the auction was glad I was going to keep it as most thought it would go across the scales at the scrap yard.
I don't have it up and running yet but will post pictures. A guy where I work use to set them up so when it is running, i will post what I can of it in action.

Back