5C end mill holder suggestions?

Jim_cellarshop

Active User
Registered
Hi, I recently got a SB 10L lathe and I am in the process of setting it up. Until I can afford a mill I will be doing some light milling on it. I am having trouble finding end mill holders for 5C config of the lathe spindle. Is there a different name? I know I could use the basic 5C collects, but I was told long ago that is was much better to user proper holders. I could make up a couple of holders to ether go in the 3 jaw chuck or spindle, but I have several small items I want to make (turning mostly but a few milled parts) and I want to get them done before I spend too much time making tooling. I already have learned how to turn many on the 'milled' parts by example on this forum - Thanks very Much! Jim

Thanks, I see they have a 10L spindle to MT2 adapter. So that is a possibility. I also found some soft head, machine to fit 5C collect blanks that looks like it would speed up making end mill holders. Any other ideas?? Thanks, Jim.

If you already have the collets, then use them. You do not need special holders for the "light milling" you will be doing.

I have often done the same as dalee has mentioned.
For the light milling jobs that you would mostly do in a lathe, just put the endmill in the 3-jaw. I dont really see any advantage to using a collet in the lathe to hold endmills, unless your 3-jaw has really bad runout, then a collet would be better. Providing the adapter is a good quality, and has min runout.

Thanks, I have some collets and a closer comming soon. I got them to turn small parts, but will use them to hold end mills. Several years ago a machinest friend said that collets did not work well & a proper end mill holder should be use, but he was working on a pretty big Cincinatti, much bigger than a Bridgeport, 15hp I think. So it's most likely not very applicable to my situation. I am hoping to add a mill by the end of the year, sooner if I find a screaming deal! Several cuts I need to make I discovered, here on this forum, that I could make by spinning the part in the lathe. Thanks everyone for all the help!! Jim.

Back