72 years ago today.

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
Kido Butai, the Japanese carrier fleet, was pounding Hawaii beginning nearly four years of total war between the Japanese Empire and the Allies.
While this attack proved to be a mistake for Japan their execution was masterful and eye opening even if it didn't achieve all it should have.

This post is merely to honor all those of all nationalities who served, suffered and died in the ensuing war.

There are very few left from that generation who fought in that war. If you know a vet from that era pay them a visit and say thanks. They are the generation that led us into the biggest economic expansion the world has ever known. They made it happen with a tremendous work ethic and just plain old common sense which seems to be almost non-existent today. May God bless the veterans.

Marcel

May we never forget PEARL HARBOR DAY and those who fought in all the wars.

My Father is 95 y/o now and struggling with dementia etc but, he's comfortable and well cared for. Anyhow, at this time 72 years ago, he had finished Marine boot camp and just got stationed somewhere in (of all places) Alaska. Within days of PH, they put him on a ship to the South Pacific where he fought for the next 4.5 years. Mid-way through that ordeal, his company found themselves pinned for 1 month with no air or ground backup during a monsoon season. Half the guys died from infection, starvation or drown -and he lost 30 pounds. They were pinned in water-filled foxholes and if you stuck your head up, it would get shot off. If you lost the energy to use your helmet as a bailing bucket and if you put your head down, you'd drown -and some of them did.

Finally, air cover dropped food as they passed by to drop bombs on the high ground held by the opposition. That particular ordeal was just a single event among thousands of brushes with death. ...He was taken to a hospital in Hawaii and handed his discharge papers after the skin infections healed and regained enough weight to stand. He ripped-up the discharge papers and took the next boat back to theater...

Signed on behalf of my father...
Ed (aka "Lefty" or "Left-Hook") C.

PS: He was a golden gloves boxer with the CYO before enlisting. He was a sniper and machine-gunner on the battlefield.

There are very few left from that generation who fought in that war. If you know a vet from that era pay them a visit and say thanks. They are the generation that led us into the biggest economic expansion the world has ever known. They made it happen with a tremendous work ethic and just plain old common sense which seems to be almost non-existent today. May God bless the veterans.

Marcel

72 years ago today my Dad was one of the lucky ones that made it out both alive and unhurt. He lost a lot of shipmates and friends that day. The only thing he ever said about that day was the worst thing wasn't the dead, it was those that you couldn't save in time or died in your arms. Dad is gone 24 years now. I hope he's with the friends and shipmates he lost that day.

Rest in peace men.

Re-reading my OP I feel that it looks like I'm somehow commending Japan for their attack.

Let me be perfectly clear that I'm extremely proud to be an American as well as a US Navy veteran and former Battleship sailor.

This day 72 years ago was tragic for America, the Navy, and those remarkable men who served then to defend this great Nation.

In the end it also proved to be tragic for Japan and the Japanese people.

I think we all can agree that the suffering of those, who had no choice in the direction their Nation took them, which followed this attack are to be honored for those sacrifices.

I didn't feel that way about your post or the Japanese people for that matter. The German people aren't bad people either. It's the government's and the thorough brain washing machines they had going on at the time. The media was young then and people believed everything that was broadcast. We need to take a lesson from those times. The media is still a propaganda machine, yes, even in the home of the free. Don't believe everything they tell you. There are darker motives always, led by the military industrial complex. Be always vigilant and dig a little for the real truth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back