8" 4 Jaw Chuck Balance Issue

I would not attach anything on the spindle to balance. If it gets loose, you could really hurt somebody. If you have to balance, grind material away.

If your chuck has a mounting plate, check if the chuck is mounted on center of this mounting plate and if the mounting plate is mounted on center with the lathe spindle.
I am thinking about the stick on tire weights, if I use those I will place them on the inside of the chuck.

I am thinking about the stick on tire weights, if I use those I will place them on the inside of the chuck.
They won't go anywhere. Their on the inside of road wheels without any problems at higher RPMs then the spindle.

I really appreciate everyone's input, I have a much better idea of how I should approach this. I think as long as this needs balancing I will clean the rest of the slag/crud out of it, it looks bad and if I can knock 1 or 2 pieces out others are likely just a rub away. The answer to put the weight where the slag was isn't that easy, I stuck my fingers in the back of the thing and took out several pieces and realized what I had done but didn't equat the problem I had caused until a bit later. Many here might think "oh what a beginner mistake", well you are probably correct, the mill I have now is number 4 for me but this lathe is my first and I am discovering it is a different beast.

I appreciate it guy, I will let you all know what I do and how it goes....

Back