833 dro scale location & orientation for Y axis (and x)

skcncx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Where is everyone locating their scales for the Y axis and how are you orienting them? Face up, down, in, or out?

Same for x as well, though, at the moment, I'm planning on putting it on the backside of of the table. Scale on the moving table, read head on the non moving y axis carriage. Not sure yet on if the face of the scale will point down or back toward column w/added chip gaurd

I'm leaning toward option 3, though, seems like a long reach for a bracket to mount to the y axis sled. #3 seems to be the best to stay away from the oozing oil from the ways as well as easiest to protect with some angle iron for chips etc... Not sure how much I need to protect the magnetic scales from oil and chips.

1676350100534.png

For ref, #1 and #2 is a slim scale As seen, I have enough room to stand it on it's edge in #1 location. Though I got it for the quill location. That one I'm leaving for another day, not sure where/how I plan to integrate it in the head unit.

#3 is the standard body size that holes the magnetic scale scale tape. The actual scale is the same size for both, should have just bought the slim body scales for all axis. The only benefit to the larger scale is the heft in the extrusion that holds it.

You're going to want to put a chip guard over the scale, no matter where you position it. How you accommodate the chip guard mounting usually dictates where you can position the scale. On my benchtop mill I had the Y-axis DRO scale mounted in upir position #3, with an L-shaped aluminum angle covering the top and side where the encoder runs. I also had the X-axis scale on the back of the table, again with an L-shaped angle over the scale and read head.

#3 is how PM installed mine on my 833TV, I like that you put it relatively high up. When it is lower down (like on mine) it makes it a bit more difficult to clear chips underneath. So the height on your #3 looks better to me.

IMG_1329.JPG

#3 is how PM installed mine on my 833TV, I like that you put it relatively high up. When it is lower down (like on mine) it makes it a bit more difficult to clear chips underneath. So the height on your #3 looks better to me.

Thanks for the pic. I think #3 is the way I'm gonna go as well. I was thinking about the location as well from not obstructing the ability to wipe things down and keep it clean. Not sure how I plan to attach the bracket to the ways/y axis sled, but the way they did it seems to be the most logical. Though, I may experiment with running a long bracket/arm from behind the y axis sled as well, basically where they OEM rubber chip shield is mounted... that seems to get in the way, so those may end up as accordion style way covers one day.

I may end up on the right hand side, just need to stay clear of the locking gib screws. Cable management might be helpful if they are all on one side.

Setting all this up as fun, but I realize now how valuable having someone else do it as well, money well spent. My Tegara 660U vise comes soon, while not in the way, how much I hang it off the back, etcs, interesting to see how every thing will fit in place.

DRO is first order of business, though, I like how I don't have a mess of cables at the moment. one step at a time, but I may consider those channel cord things like these..

1676385879275.png

Well, this is what I've hacked in so far, plan to clean it up a bit and do some cable ties. In short, took longer than I expected and it's best to get your scales/covers figured out (with some thought as to how you mount the readers). I had ideas and then I just had to start trying/hacking things and changing as necessary. Still need to mount the column scale and quill scale. Quill is next, column scale, eh, I can kind of see why it's not as useful but I have it, so it's gonna make it on. Column scale and quill will be 2 axis scales summing to z on my DRO.

The only two holes I drilled and tapped in the mill were on the column. I used all existing threaded holes to mount my aluminum angle and then scales to the angle and then covers. That wasn't so much a goal, but I also didn't want to start drilling and tapping a bunch of holes when I wasn't sure exactly where I would land on placement of things.

The threaded holes behind the y axis sled that held the chip guard in is where I mounted a bar that extended out which held the reader for the y axis scale on the left hand side. On the same bar is the reader head for the x axis magnetic scale under the covers. Likely a bit overkill, I figured having the scales up side down is good for no chips... but then adding the covers it becomes a bit redudant. I put in enough slop to make minor adjustments etc.

I can see how it would be relatively easy to create a bracket/scale cover kit that would be an easy bolt on from PM... assuming the keep holes in the same locations.

1677179525737.png

1677179548521.png

1677179587128.png

1677179606814.png

1677180588523.png

Last edited:
I had a post from last year (September, 8 2022) which includes info and pictures of how I installed the DRO on my PM833TV. The overall post is lengthy however the DRO scale portion is not too bad. I have added the following link : Prior post covering the DRO install .

The install went well and I have used the mill considerably since and have not found anything I would change.

Good luck!! Enjoy your mill.

I had a post from last year (September, 8 2022) which includes info and pictures of how I installed the DRO on my PM833TV. The overall post is lengthy however the DRO scale portion is not too bad. I have added the following link : Prior post covering the DRO install .

The install went well and I have used the mill considerably since and have not found anything I would change.

Good luck!! Enjoy your mill.
Nice! I plan to mill some brackets as well for my first couple projects to clean up what I have. A couple screws I'd like to counter bore and create a pocket in the rear bracket to mount the x axis read head so it's flush.

My Aikron DRO mag scale read heads have a led light on them indicating the strength of the signal.... which is great, but somewhat forces you into a specific mounting orientation if you want to see them easily.

I just got my vise on the table... but it came with 11/16 t-nuts, so that might be the very first thing I do is modify them to fit the 833 table.

It's going slow with limited time in shop, but I have my quill DRO and modified quill stop lock nut modification started. This was one of the very first things I have milled starting with bar stock, squaring up and machining to a drawn dimensions. No dimension is critical, but in practice I wanted to be as accurate as possible for experience. Ya'know... pretend like I'm machinist. There's a lot to be desired, but overall I'm happy with it, small steps.

So far I have made 100% use of existing holes on the machine, no cutting or drilling, except a few holes in the face plate. I really wanted to use the internal space, behind face plate for the quill stop, but there just isn't enough room if you end up wanting to use one of those button quick nuts. Another half inch of space and it would be possible. What came with it works, but the threaded rod style and quick nut for adjustments eliminates the unintentional movement of the stop if you are a bit heavy handed moving the quill down. The OEM tended to slide a bit.

1678970125752.png
1678970429137.png
1678970468618.png

I still need to cut the DRO scale and threaded rod to appropriate length and add the stop block to the faceplate. I used 1/4" aluminum plate as a backer to the face plate. When I mount the stop block it will be solid. Obviously, the faceplate is decorative only. That required me to add a spacer in the fine feed quick handle, a washer/spacer did the trick.

I may mill away some of the thickness to make it looks less bulky but that's just cosmetic.

The DRO case is made from UHMW. Figured that was a good material for a tight but friction-less surface to scale to travel up and down.

Side note: the fine feed is nice, but somethings it's a bit sloppy/jerky... I'll move it up/down a few thou and then it drops. It has some play in it. I have to be careful in micro adjustments. Not sure if I need to tighten things up or what not. I may just keep the quill locked and resort to using the column travel for small adjustments.

Back