8530 Clausing mill purchase missing head

That is a sweet looking machine. One always has to wonder - were did the head go and where is it now...
Perhaps interrupted during a restoration and the parts became separated?
Is that a gear drive mechanism on the table? That would be cool even on my Index.

_Dan

I went to a sale listed on CL. The owner had pallets and pallets of all kinds of tools. We looked and looked thru all of the items and cannot find the head. This went on for a couple of months. The 4 attaching head screws were found in the table slots. I found the front belt cover plate in one of the boxes. He finally agreed to sell me what he had.
The gear drive has 2 speeds. Not quite as nice as a power feed, but works real smooth.

Now if I can find a just find a working mill head!

Yes. I am interested in your mill head. I will pm you in a week (after you return from your trip). Thanks for responding to post.

I have a spare head for an 8520, not sure if there's any/much difference between the two or not. As far as I can tell, there isn't.
I'd bought it for spare parts, but don't think I'll be needing it.
I did sell Terry W. the draw bar, but that can be made fairly easy and I did scavange the fine feed gears for my mill since some of the teeth were stripped on it. A source for them is mentioned here: http://www.wentztech.com/metalworkin...ing-8520-mill/
If it will work for you and you're interested, I'd sell it.
It's also missing the quill down feed handles (course & fine), but Terry W. did an excellent thread on making one.

View attachment 86314

ChevNova396, I have the exact same issue as you - a Clausing mill with no head. I have been looking for a suitable head for about 2 years now. Some guy in San Diego had a complete head and drive unit for $600 + shipping. Don't know if it's still available.

AR1911, I have a line on a M head for $400 plus shipping. I hope it works out.

Are you looking for an M head or a Clausing head? I have quite a few feelers out, if something else comes up, I wll let you know.

I'm open to almost anything within reason. I had an Emco milling head for the 5" lathe, but it was just too small.
I would even adapt a (gasp!) minimill head to it. But the OE would be ideal, and an M-head or Rustok 2nd choice.

Good luck with your M-head deal :))

Back