9x20 lathe help

Ivanveg

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
New to me 9x20 HF lathe. (I have an older 13 inch Le Blond).
Would like to face a newly acquired backplate so I can install a new-to-me 4 jaw chuck. Cannot get the tool close enough to the work before the longitudinal hand wheel hits the gear box on the left. I did just receive an QCTP (size A). Maybe after that gets installed I can creep closer.
Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary, Sandy, Oregon

How is your compound slide currently positioned? If you orient it parallel to the main bed ways (ie: at ninety degrees to the cross slide travel) you may be able to gain enough in compound travel to reach your target. It won’t buy you huge gains and be mindful of over-extending it but you may pick up what you need.

-frank

New to me 9x20 HF lathe. (I have an older 13 inch Le Blond).
Would like to face a newly acquired backplate so I can install a new-to-me 4 jaw chuck. Cannot get the tool close enough to the work before the longitudinal hand wheel hits the gear box on the left. I did just receive an QCTP (size A). Maybe after that gets installed I can creep closer.
Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary, Sandy, Oregon

Can we see a picture of what you’re describing?

Install the QCTP… That will help you get there. I had to push out the cutter to reach…just take it easy.

39B87526-B93D-44EC-854F-A61C489B3008.jpeg
1E102974-B6BD-45B2-A50B-C86C54696176.jpeg
And link to my ownership thread in case it helps…

Last edited:
Please be aware that wachuko is using a solid plinth (as do I) to mount the tool post onto the cross slide without using the top/compound slide.
This is also a more rigid setup, I only use the top/compound slide when I want to turn tapers.
There is an absolute ton of mods for this lathe on this site, good luck.

Please be aware that wachuko is using a solid plinth (as do I) to mount the tool post onto the cross slide without using the top/compound slide.
This is also a more rigid setup, I only use the top/compound slide when I want to turn tapers.
There is an absolute ton of mods for this lathe on this site, good luck.
Completely forgot about that…

Back