[How-To] 9x20 Slower feed

PaulV

Registered
Registered
I have a Central Machinery 9x20 lathe. I read where someone swapped the 30 tooth gear and 120 tooth gear to get a much slower feed rate. They said the gear cover door and the bed needed to be trimmed to allow this,and to raise the bed of the lathe for gearr clearance. I was wondering if anyone has done this mod to get a really good finish, if there were any +/- about it, and if anyone could post some pictures of modifications.
Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,
My 9x20 is bolted to 50mm riser blocks. I have never had a problem of the gears hitting the pan or bed (I don't see where they can hit the bed)
My setup will look different to yours because I have added a reverse tumbler, that's the rectangular block sliding in that curved slot on the right.
Also its a treadmill motor with speed controller so only one belt.
This is actually set up in the picture to cut 4mm pitch threads, that's why there is an arm with a bolt pushing against an 80 tooth gear holding it in place.
If I want slow speed feeding I just swap the 120 gear with the bottom (in this instance) 30 tooth gear.
As the 30 tooth is meshed with the 120 gear there is a spacer preventing it from moving inwards so it cannot mesh with the 127 gear
Here because the banjo the 127 gear is on is so far out to mesh with an 80 tooth gear the cover cannot be closed but for general use and common thread pitches it can be closed but does need a cutout at the bottom.
change gears.jpg

heres the cutout
gear cover.jpg

And because I find the door a pain I also removed the hinge pin and replaced it with a pin I can lift out and remove the door easily.
cover2.jpg

I should have mentioned that the large cogged pulley is also a spring loaded clutch
design here along with the motor controller and a picture of the slow speed setup

I have this and it may be a little easier to understand, if you read the headings you may have to lift the lathe to get the 127 gear to clear as savarin has said and if you want to keep the seat up you will have to modify the cover to get it to close also.

Attachments

• 9x20 Gearing_0001.jpg
    9x20 Gearing_0001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 160
I should have mentioned that the large cogged pulley is also a spring loaded clutch
design here along with the motor controller and a picture of the slow speed setup
Thanks, I can visualize it much better. This helps!

I don't remember which gear I changed and because of the cold (to me) and wet weather don't want to go look at machine chart. Actually, it's a pleasant 42F outside, but after living in the S Pacific anything below 80F is freezing to this old blood. In any case, on the change gear chart, there is a 40 tooth gear that can be replaced with an 80 tooth. It doubles threading, or halves the feed rate, depending on how you calculate things. It is a "drop in" replacement to extend the threading rate by 2.00. I have found that the slowest feed rate tends to rub rather than cut for a turn or two, and then throw a chip. But that's as much my lack of skill at sharpening tools. . .

I never looked at cutting metric threads, I needed to cut 120 TPI. That was years back so I don't recall the details. But my machine is a Grizzly G-1550 (same as current G-4000) and is mounted on a Grizzly base. Everything clears, the door closes fine, and there is plenty of clearance to the chip pan. It seems that if it works for SAE threads it should work for metric. Literally everything else is a drop in change and is so marked on my thread gear chart.

Back