Re-Opened A how to forum?

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This forum does not have much in the way of how to’s. I know I can’t find a lot on actual how to article. Like how to change bearings in the head stock, changing seals, bearings an a lot of the need to know by DIYer’s. There a few scattered around the forum, but unless you what to ask about they very hard to find with the search. It would be nice to have posts on how to do repair’s. I’m replacing PM932M seals, and may all so be replacing bearing in my 6 yr old PM932m PDF, and there is not really much of any thing on this chore.
Thanks for looking
CH

This forum does not have much in the way of how to’s. I know I can’t find a lot on actual how to article. Like how to change bearings in the head stock, changing seals, bearings an a lot of the need to know by DIYer’s. There a few scattered around the forum, but unless you what to ask about they very hard to find with the search. It would be nice to have posts on how to do repair’s. I’m replacing PM932M seals, and may all so be replacing bearing in my 6 yr old PM932m PDF, and there is not really much of any thing on this chore.
Thanks for looking
CH
This is a good suggestion. There are "prefixes" that you can put on a thread title, much like in the same way you see, "New Ticket", or "Resolved" on this thread - thread owners can put a "How-To" prefix on certain threads. I say, "certain threads" because not all sub-forums are setup to be formatted in this manner. And those forums that are setup to do so, doesn't mean that members remember to toggle the How-To on. When you filter a sub-forum, in say, the Precision Matthews section, you can filter by prefix and look at only those threads that are marked as How-To.

The other challenge is that most forums are categorized by topic. The problem with topics is that they can be anything you want them to be. Here at Hobby Machinist, we have sub-forums that tend to be organized by machine type, or by manufacturer. This is due to the nature of how members come to site - usually it is looking for information on their machine, say Precision Matthews for example. But there hasn't been a push for something like you describe which would be a fpr example, a sub-forum for Headstock Re-builds and then organized by machines. Our site has grown to come at it from the other direction, find your manufacturer and then search that thread.

And then the third problem you will encounter is the content itself. You may search the PM subforum and find out how to change the bearings in a PM 727M, but won't find something for your specific model. The content itself may be close enough for your needs, spot on, or completely off the mark based on what members want to share and how they share it.

My suggestion is to do a couple of things:
  • Go to the Precision Matthews sponsored forum found at this link,
  • Start a thread in that forum asking about what you are interested in learning,
  • Go to the downloads area and search for your model number. You may find additional documentation uploaded there.
I will take a closer look at the prefix features and determine how to make these useful to our membership. I think it is a good suggestion, but making a global change on such a large site comes with problems that require some forethought.

Upvote 0
Given how this forum has developed, I’d think it makes more sense to create a variety of how-to reference posts that contain links to prior individual posts. For example, a how-to post on “bearing replacement” could be a good way to find prior posts on that topic. As those prior posts are identified, they can be added to the reference list.

Upvote 0
Back