A line on a couple surface grinders and a Bridgeport

Sticks

Registered
Registered
I have been actively looking for a surface grinder for a couple weeks now. Seems that people seem to pick them up for stupid cheap so I though I would see what was local to me.

There is this CL ad - https://boulder.craigslist.org that has a Jakobsen grinder of unknown model that I am going to go look at tomorrow (11-15-23), and while I am there I will look over the Bridgeport Series I knee mill.

I have kind of an idea what to look for on the surface grinder but for $1.5k It may be worth the risk. The mill I can give a pretty good look over since I am more familliar with mills. May or may not be priced fair, and having just spent a pretty penny on my PM-940M mill and getting it set up how I want it, might be a bad plan to even think about gettting it.

Then the other grinder is a Chevalier FSG-618M on Ebay, that is also local to me. Ebay Link. That seems a bit high for what I have been seeing, but again, I don't know much about grinders and used ownership.

Advice anyone?

Seems pretty pricy for a manual feed machine with few bells or whistles.

CL ad seems a little suspicious to me - why no pics and only YouTube vids of "similar items"?

Seemed a little off to me too, but I have an address and contact info. Colorado Plastics is the company with the equipment. The CNC Bridgeport showed up on Ebay along with a couple other items, but not the grinder or the mill.

Ebay mill

Seems pretty pricy for a manual feed machine with few bells or whistles.
Doing a little price checking, $2500 seems to be the average for this generation model. That is what I figured I would offer if it seems OK. At least it is a picture of it under normal use (?). Not filthy, not sterilized for the photo shoot.

The Bridgeport and the Jakobsen are going to be a hard pass. Finally able to sit at a computer and get some info on these machines and they are old, not supported, and waaayyyyyy to big for my allotted space in a 53' moving trailer. I'll still go and see what else they are parting with. That rotary table may be worth a shot.

Back