A little fun with size perspective

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
So here are some typical lathe tools. Are they normal size or some extreme.

DSCF2592.JPG

Scroll down

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

DSCF2595.JPGDSCF2596.JPG

Here's one them with a few normal sized bits.

DSCF2597.JPG

DSCF2592.JPG DSCF2595.JPG DSCF2596.JPG DSCF2597.JPG

Thats got to be the smallest Mike Ive ever seen.
And that ruler just looks like one that fishermen use to make their catch look bigger...........

cheers Phil

These tools are a few that I have left from when I used to run very large equipment. Here's picture from when I was a young man running the smallest VTL we had. We had them up to twelve foot chuck machines that were mounted in pits so the chuck was level with the floor.

VTLandMe001.jpg

VTLandMe001.jpg

So here are some typical lathe tools. Are they normal size or some extreme.

View attachment 84304

I got a couple MoMax HSS blanks like the top one in your photo in a Craigslist buy. Brand new, never been ground. I kept one, and sent the other to my brother (he's a *real* machinist, I'm just a garage hack).

GG

Thanks for sharing that photo , One hell of a machine for a small one ....

I wish I had a picture of the controls for the small VTL, it was something right out of Frankenstein's lab. Large exposed blade switches, dials and analog gauges. The drive motor was DC and there was a large generator that sat behind the machine that thru sparks when you started it. The machine is still in use today at another shop. That shop has the generator mounted above the machine to conserve space and it quite a light show when they start the generator.

I don't have any pictures of the larger VTL's but I did find one online of a similar machine.

largeVTL.jpg

largeVTL.jpg

Back