A long stroke hit/ miss

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Soo... I made my very first hit/ miss engine many years ago. It was based loosely on plans downloaded from the internet. It used a .750 bore and a .750 stroke. Although I was thrilled when I actually got it to run, I have never been real happy with the way it ran. A few weeks ago I decided to take parts from it and make a new engine design. I recycled the cylinder head, carb, flywheels, ignition module and piston. The new design featured a .750 bore with a 1.5" stroke. The stroke came from the fact that I had a 1.5 throw crank which I had reworked. This allowed me to make an engine that was different from the engines I have made in the past.

The engine runs good although with more shaking than previous engines due to the long stroke. Notice the clamp holding it down in the video.. Otherwise, I am very pleased with how easy it starts and runs.

Great job Chris.
Looking forward to seeing updates.

Ray

Work on some counter- balance.

Or, make slightly bigger flywheels and drill out material from the inside to offset the piston.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I haven't decided how hard I'm going to work on reducing vibration.

I played around with the springs on the governor and got a better hit/miss action. Next step will be doing some milling on the crankshaft for a better balance.

After milling some excess material off the crankshaft I have the engine running much smoother. Got a pretty good hit/miss action and it's running about 950 to 1000 rpm. Although I can't leave it running unattended, it mostly stays in one place.

The vibration is gone but it wants to creep forward every time it fires. I think it's time to move on to my next project.

Back