A model hit/miss with a twist

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have built a couple of model hit/miss engines. One with a .75 bore and one with a 1.125 bore. Both of these engines used O-rings on the piston. After reading some articles on making cast iron rings, it wasn't something I felt I wanted to tackle.

I had an old Mantis two stroke tiller that finally died a few years back. I salvaged the piston from it and thought "What about building a hit/miss engine from it". It was 32 mm or. about 1.262 inches. First thing that happened was I cracked one of the rings by being careless putting it into the cylinder I created out of cast iron. To my amazement I found a set of new 32 mm rings on ebay. The crankshaft was created from several pieces I pressed and locktited together. ( 1 1/2 stroke) I put tapered pins on either side of the rod journal. The rod bearing is a 12 mm ball bearing. The wrist pin in the piston was 8 mm which was close enough to use a standard 5/16 bronze bushing.
The flywheels were made from a couple of cast iron trolley wheels I found at an antique engine show in Ft. Meade, Fla.
Monday, I finally got it running. Unfortunately the Chinese ignition module keeps killing my Hall sensor. I just ordered 10 Hall sensors from a different seller. I am hoping that I just got a bad batch. My other two engines use similar modules and I haven't had these kind of problems.

Once I resolve my ignition problems, I plan to clean things up and mount the ignition system and battery underneath.

Last edited:
Look great….

Good luck with the ignition.

Will

Is there such a thing as resistor plugs for this application? They are used to reduce interference. That or resistive plug wires.

Make sure your grounds are all good and that the sensor is properly installed.

If the groups are not rally good, the engine lock can get to be high voltage as it is in series with the spark plug to the coil output.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Today, a new order of Hall effect sensors arrived. I put one of the new sensors in and everything is working great. I've run two tanks of fuel thru it without problems. Starts easy.

Back