A quick drill press question.

G Jones

Registered
Registered
What makes a small jewelers type drill press "sensitive"? It seems like a very specific descriptor.
I ask because I well be needing to drill a large number of sub 1mm holes, and I can't imagine one of those bits lasting much longer than pressing the "on" button on a normal press.

Cheers!

Typically a "sensitive" drill press has less leverage on the quill handle, so it has more feel than one that is designed for bigger drills and more horsepower.

You could also use a sensitive chuck .

aaah, thank you derf, that makes sense! so it's like driving an old car without power steering, you really feel the material through the controls.

Some use a knob instead of a lever so you have less leverage. Many also raise the table to the drill instead of lowering the chuck to the table.

The sensitive chucks or sensitive drilling attachments (same thing just different names) Dave mentioned are a spring loaded deal with a finger collar and small chuck. You insert them into a chuck like a drill bit, and then pull down on the collar to drill which is supposed to give you a very good feel for the drilling.

You can find videos and plans for making your own sensitive drilling attachment which is likely to be much cheaper than a sensitive drill press.

Sensitive drill that I have used for years!

Attachments

• 20191025_062155 res.jpg
    20191025_062155 res.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191025_062108 res.jpg
    20191025_062108 res.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 13
Back