Acer E-Lathe 1440V

north1

Registered
Registered
This is the only new lathe available for purchase near me(450 miles one way). Have looked for old iron for years but North Dakota is a wasteland for machine tools.

Called dealer to verify it is available. Was very helpful but stated didn’t think it could accept single phase power supply. Acer website states it can accept single or three phase. Found some documentation that states if connected to 230 volt single phase just connect only L1 and L2 wires to terminals. So would think it is doable. Dealer states he has only sold to businesses with 3 phase availability. The lathe has a Toshiba “Vector-Type” 5HP Frequency Inverter providing infinite speeds form 36-2000 rpm.

Any info about the specific lathe and single/three phase power supply hookup would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully some of our experts will chime in on how to accomplish this. But a rotary phase converter is a very practical alternative. I have had a 10HP American Rotary RPC for several years and have been quite satisfied with it. It drives my mill, lathe and belt sander - the largest of which is the lathe (5HP). Several members here have also gone that route, and I don't recall reading about any major dissatisfaction.

Regards

You should be able to use it on single phase. The motor is 3 Hp, the VFD is 5 Hp, but would be derated to 3 Hp for single phase. Looks like a nice lathe if in good shape, worthwhile to get it in a VFD configuration. If you have any VFD questions when you get it, I may be able to give you some further guidance.

I would verify with the dealer that is selling it that the motor is 3 Hp.

Reactions: tjb
It is a brand new in the crate lathe. Also has installed a Newall E70 2 axis DRO with C.S.S.
Downloaded lathe manual and have not been able to find anything about changing any settings in the VFD for single phase. Perhaps there is a separate manual for the VFD but have not been able to find it. Perhaps there would be no parameters to change. Not at all experienced with VFD operation. Would think with constant surface speed DRO installed at factory that there would be a manual included but will call dealer back with more questions. Thanks for your responses. Means a lot.

I have one of these which I think may be similar to what you're looking at.

I looked at trying to convert it to single phase but when I looked in the back I was confronted with this:

IMG_9595.JPG.jpg

I got some advice and it was going to be very difficult to convert to 3 phase.

I ended up getting 3 phase to my workshop (already had it for air con in the house).

This is weird. Need a VFD to provide power to a VFD? In a supplemental publication on the Eason website for the 1440v they show a picture and state in order to hook lathe up for single phase to only connect the L1 and L3 wires.

Attachments

• E07203DC-458C-4223-A545-62A6DECED385.jpeg
    E07203DC-458C-4223-A545-62A6DECED385.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 77
The lathe electrical cabinet shown SM-1440B is not the VFD model, the VFD model has only two gear ranges and a much larger electrical cabinet. Almost all the VFD lathe models in the 3-5 Hp range are design to run off of single or 3 phase.

This is the only new lathe available for purchase near me(450 miles one way). Have looked for old iron for years but North Dakota is a wasteland for machine tools.

Called dealer to verify it is available. Was very helpful but stated didn’t think it could accept single phase power supply. Acer website states it can accept single or three phase. Found some documentation that states if connected to 230 volt single phase just connect only L1 and L2 wires to terminals. So would think it is doable. Dealer states he has only sold to businesses with 3 phase availability. The lathe has a Toshiba “Vector-Type” 5HP Frequency Inverter providing infinite speeds form 36-2000 rpm.

Any info about the specific lathe and single/three phase power supply hookup would be greatly appreciated.

If this were me, I would buy the lathe, along with an RPC, & never even consider single phase. I don’t think anybody is arguing that single phase is better than three phase.

American Rotary has great customer service & sells Made in USA RPCs.

Back