ACME or Trapezoidal on J&S crossfeed lead screw?

Saxguy

Registered
Registered
Sorry if I'm asking too many J&S questions, but I have got a bit of a bee in my bonnet over my predicament.
Finally got the "nut" off today, bit of a mission it was too. Thinking I might have a bash at making a bronze insert and retaining original lead screw, as it doesn't look at all bad. I haven't any way of accurately assessing the thread type, and not sure if it will be ACME or trapezoidal. I know there isn't much difference, but would be nice to try and hit it as accurate as I can when grinding up the cutting tool for the nut.
Only other thing is, I do fear premature wear on the nut due to the slightly worn screw... not sure if I can make this or not, but might give it a go. Seems the combo is around 600 quid +VAT +shipping to NZ then import duty etc etc..... be best part of a grand, which is what I paid for the machine!

One thing I did find is that there is slop not only in the screw/nut mating, but also at the bearing housing (hand wheel end). This is what was causing lock up of the darn small adjustment dial it seems. The whole picture didnt reveal itself until i took off the cover, which has two dowel pins that had it seems been deliberately tapped back into the cover, so that they were not in use. The cover had then been put on a little skewed, so that when the wheel came forward (about 2.5mm slop) it didnt bind up the small adjustment worm gear. It was enough however, to prevent the cam from doing its job and advancing the Y feed each time. I thought that it was a case of "greased-up" (should be oiled), so I washed it all out, but no, it still didnt work correctly.
Now I see, its all stemmed from slop in the bearing housing. I think shim washers will be a good fix for that.
However, now I have it all in pieces, putting it back together without addressing the backlash..... ohhhh I just can't do it, my OCD wont let me.

Write my friend Phil in Australia as he is a machine rebuilder. He may know where you can buy parts down there. Or help you make some.
Phillip Fehring
P & L Machine Tools Pty. Ltd.
24 Bostock Court
Thomastown Victoria 3074
Australia
Tel: +613 9466 3655
Mob: 0412 555 326
machtool@bigpond.net.au]machtool@bigpond.net.au

Unless I'm mistaken, ACME is imperial and trapezoidal is metric. So, if the rest of the machine is one or the other, you will have your answer.

Unless I'm mistaken, ACME is imperial and trapezoidal is metric. So, if the rest of the machine is one or the other, you will have your answer.
Yes you are correct. My machine is British about 1979, and the bolts etc are imperial but the dials are metric. The leadscrew gives 10mm per rotation, so I would think that its trapezoidal, however, it could still be a ACME (29 degree) thread.

Yes you are correct. My machine is British about 1979, and the bolts etc are imperial but the dials are metric. The leadscrew gives 10mm per rotation, so I would think that its trapezoidal, however, it could still be a ACME (29 degree) thread.
Yes you are correct, but my machine has both traits. My machine is British about 1979, and the bolts etc are imperial but the dials are metric. The leadscrew gives 10mm per rotation, so I would think that its trapezoidal, however, it could still be a ACME (29 degree) thread.

My Polish built lathe is all metric fasteners, built for the north american market, hence the lead screws are imperial pitch but trapezoid thread form. I'd guess your lathe is acme with metric pitch.

Greg

Yes you are correct, but my machine has both traits. My machine is British about 1979, and the bolts etc are imperial but the dials are metric. The leadscrew gives 10mm per rotation, so I would think that its trapezoidal, however, it could still be a ACME (29 degree) thread.
Ah, ok. That makes it a little more difficult. You could always grind your cutting tool to match the screw that you have. That way the nut would be an exact fit. The joys of owning old machinery.

Ah, ok. That makes it a little more difficult. You could always grind your cutting tool to match the screw that you have. That way the nut would be an exact fit. The joys of owning old machinery.
Yes, either that else I might make a screw as well, then I could match them up properly. Thinking of getting the carbide inserts for the job. Could be a long time off yet as so busy with other jobs.

Yes, either that else I might make a screw as well, then I could match them up properly. Thinking of getting the carbide inserts for the job. Could be a long time off yet as so busy with other jobs.
Or just buy a screw, cut it to size, and turn the features that you need. I hear you about the projects. I did a full remodel on my shop this year and I'm still finishing up with that. I have a fair amount of equipment work that I need to do too, but I'm short on time.

Back