Add-ons for Harley-Davidson

Zigeuner

Registered
Registered
I noticed that there haven't been many posts in the motorcycle section lately so I thought I would take care of that.

Having been an avid motorcyclist for many years now, I find that being able to do your own metal fabrication is a valuable asset. I recently opted for a smaller machine than my former Harley-Davidon Ultra-Classic. I replaced it with a 2011 Dyna Street Bob (FXDB) which is more of a minimilist motorcycle.

The only features that it didn't have that I missed were the cruise control and floorboards. I decided to do something about that by adding floorboards and a throttle lock. Strictly speaking a throttle lock is not a cruise control. As we all know a cruise control will keep the speed of the machine constant under varying conditons. A throttle lock sets the throttle in one chosen position and won't compensate for hills and so forth.

I noticed that the only time I used the real cruise control on my former bike was on long, flat sections where holding the throttle open against the return spring would otherwise make your hand ache after a while. So, a throttle lock seemed to be the logical choice for those times.

Throttle locks are available commercially but they are expensive and nowadays are made of plastic, something I don't care for. That being the case, I turned a round brass ring to form the brake drum for the throttle grip. The throttle rubber is 1.5" in diameter and the ring is about .002 undersize so that it makes a nice "acetone fit". (acetone lubricates the rubber while the ring slips on and then evaporates).

The rest of the unit is patterned after other ones I've owned. The remainder of the unit is made of stainless steel, variety unknown since it came from my scrap bin. I decided to use the rear view mirror rod to anchor the unit. There are two 10-32 button head screws holding the clamp to the shaft of the mirror.

The brake portion is made from stainless steel strips heated and bent around a mandrel. There are springs holding the unit open. When the lever on top is pulled back with the thumb, the unit locks due to a cam shape on the thumb control. It's easily opened again by lifting the lever. I've used it for about 200 miles now and it works perfectly and has eased my hand tremendously. Pictures hereinbelow.

The other issue was the lack of floorboards on the Street Bob. It came with footpegs that were too high and too far back for my trick left leg. I added forward controls but that only moved the footpegs forward. Did I say I don't like footpegs? :)

I left the rear peg mounts in place and mounted the floorboard mounts across the forward and rear peg mounts on each side with 1/4" steel straps. The floorboards are early Harley retro copies by V-Twin Mfg. Co. They are the exact same size and shape as the early Harley 45" V-Twins.

The boards are designed to fold vertically in the event that the machine should fall over (that hasn't happened yet, LOL) and are in the exact position I like after four tries.

The board mounts are made from mild steel and were TIG welded together. They will be powdercoated black in the near future. I also intend to show you all my large powercoat oven that I built over the past few years. (6' long, 3' high and 2' wide inside).

Thanks for looking.

Throttle lock.

ThrottleLockFXDB001.jpg

ThrottleLockFXDB005.jpg

Floorboards.

DynaMKVFloorBoards003-1.jpg

DynaMKVFloorBoards001-1.jpg

author=B34VD link=topic=3172.msg22771#msg22771 date=1313917199
Nice work on the throttle lock. The stock ones are kind of awkward to use. Like the look of the old style footboards too. :cool:

+1 on the shape of the boards. Harley used that style in the 40's on the 45's, 61's, 74's and 80's. V-Twin sells them. The newer boards are square and don't fit with the overall design motiff of a bobber.

I only add things that make the machine easier to ride. I have a strict rule as well. All modifications are bolt-on, screw-on, slip-on or clamp-on. There are no holes drilled, no cutting, grinding or irreversible changes to the bike. I have found through bitter experience that changes sometimes need to be changed again and holes are forever. LOL.

The next, and probably last, addition to the new bike will be a set of air horns. I kept the set of 10" Wolos that that I had on my former touring bike. They are hellaciously loud. They will wake the dead, especially the brain-dead cager drivers that one encounters on the road with a motorcycle. They are my weapon of choice for hard core traveling.

I will mount the compressor on an aluminum crutch that hangs down under the left saddlebag. Below are pictures of the set that I kept. I'll need a shorter set of trumpets for the new bike but I'll use the same FIAM compressor that is shown in the pictures. With a 10 ga. wire to a relay and a ground button added to the left handlebar, operation is instantaneous since the trumpets are only 2" away from the compressor. Actually, hellacious is not the word, they are so loud they are simply beyond belief. LOL.

:)

WoloSidecarHorns002.jpg

WoloSidecarHorns004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
author=B34VD link=topic=3172.msg22839#msg22839 date=1313958544
A buddy of mine has a similar horn set up. Hellacious is a good description. His sound like a train horn. I'd like to put a set of Panhead trumpet horns on mine but I don't have the clearance between the cylinders. I do have a similar footboard set up on my Springer Softtail. 8).

Nice machine! I can see the floorboard shape at the bottom of the picture. I really like those.

I'm looking for a shorter set of metal trumpets. The Wolos are a bit log. I put a Wolo Bad Boy (same as Nautilus) on my daughter's Honda Rebel. It's nice but too quiet for me. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the benefit of using your throttle lock over the one already there?

I noticed that there haven't been many posts in the motorcycle section lately so I thought I would take care of that.

Having been an avid motorcyclist for many years now, I find that being able to do your own metal fabrication is a valuable asset. I recently opted for a smaller machine than my former Harley-Davidon Ultra-Classic. I replaced it with a 2011 Dyna Street Bob (FXDB) which is more of a minimilist motorcycle.

The only features that it didn't have that I missed were the cruise control and floorboards. I decided to do something about that by adding floorboards and a throttle lock. Strictly speaking a throttle lock is not a cruise control. As we all know a cruise control will keep the speed of the machine constant under varying conditons. A throttle lock sets the throttle in one chosen position and won't compensate for hills and so forth.

I noticed that the only time I used the real cruise control on my former bike was on long, flat sections where holding the throttle open against the return spring would otherwise make your hand ache after a while. So, a throttle lock seemed to be the logical choice for those times.

Throttle locks are available commercially but they are expensive and nowadays are made of plastic, something I don't care for. That being the case, I turned a round brass ring to form the brake drum for the throttle grip. The throttle rubber is 1.5" in diameter and the ring is about .002 undersize so that it makes a nice "acetone fit". (acetone lubricates the rubber while the ring slips on and then evaporates).

The rest of the unit is patterned after other ones I've owned. The remainder of the unit is made of stainless steel, variety unknown since it came from my scrap bin. I decided to use the rear view mirror rod to anchor the unit. There are two 10-32 button head screws holding the clamp to the shaft of the mirror.

The brake portion is made from stainless steel strips heated and bent around a mandrel. There are springs holding the unit open. When the lever on top is pulled back with the thumb, the unit locks due to a cam shape on the thumb control. It's easily opened again by lifting the lever. I've used it for about 200 miles now and it works perfectly and has eased my hand tremendously. Pictures hereinbelow.

The other issue was the lack of floorboards on the Street Bob. It came with footpegs that were too high and too far back for my trick left leg. I added forward controls but that only moved the footpegs forward. Did I say I don't like footpegs? :)

I left the rear peg mounts in place and mounted the floorboard mounts across the forward and rear peg mounts on each side with 1/4" steel straps. The floorboards are early Harley retro copies by V-Twin Mfg. Co. They are the exact same size and shape as the early Harley 45" V-Twins.

The boards are designed to fold vertically in the event that the machine should fall over (that hasn't happened yet, LOL) and are in the exact position I like after four tries.

The board mounts are made from mild steel and were TIG welded together. They will be powdercoated black in the near future. I also intend to show you all my large powercoat oven that I built over the past few years. (6' long, 3' high and 2' wide inside).

Thanks for looking.

Throttle lock.

ThrottleLockFXDB001.jpg

ThrottleLockFXDB005.jpg

Floorboards.

ThrottleLockFXDB001.jpg

ThrottleLockFXDB005.jpg

Back