Adding DRO to my old Clausing 100 lathe

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have made several improvements on this old Beauty in this last year. The think about these old smaller lathes is that not much flat real-estate to put a Mag base indicator mount. My experience is they are either too big or too shaky and usually are a PITA to get in the right position. So for the cross slide only I am adapting an I-gage scale that I had left over from my BP -Clone. I am the purist that revolts when someone talks about drilling and tapping holes in these old Girls. So the one I am in process of making attaches by some very cheap but very strong magnets. Like everything I do here is the Drive -By pictures of what I have gotten done so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.JPG
    IMG_2498.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2499.JPG
    IMG_2499.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 11
Looks good- I'm also averse to drilling holes- I plan on using epoxy when I add a DRO to my mill

Un-finished but Functional. It got late on me and Snuggles wanted to go in the house for the night. But this video verifies concept does work. (To be continued)

No pictures or videos today but the DRO is complete and works very well. I checked the accuracy with feeler gages, and it is exactly .001 off. I also checked it by machining some stock and the measurement verified it is exactly .001 off. Not a big deal for me much better than trying to read an indicator with my 72-year-old diabetic eyes. Seems I never have enough light anymore. I also tested out the power Z axis feed that I installed on the lead screw, and it works like a jewel. Haven't tried the power x axis yet but no reason it won't work as well. Considering it was my first and only cast-iron Half Nut to make I haven't been so happy since the Hogs ate my little brother.

Today's results were pretty impressive to me. 85-year-old lathe with new spindle bearings and homemade cross slide nut and EZ-View DRO mounted on magnetic bases yielded a finish cut of +.0002 above target. I have put a lot of time and effort into this old lathe rather than buy a new one because it was a gift from my brother about 3 years before he died. Before he got it the previous owner had it sitting outside in a sand field and if there is a level beyond worn out it was at that level. Lol Still not a beauty Queen but it's all Cast Iron and I cherish it.

Back